Huggies Forum

Pooing Problems Lock Rss

My 3 month old breastfed son has enormous trouble pooing. He pushes and pushes, sometimes for hours on end until he finally empties his bowels. During the day he seems to deal better without being able to go but at night will not sleep until he goes and the pushing is accompanied by crying. This is a daily event with him having to be woken straight after to be changed as he falls asleep from exhaustion. When he does the poo it is soft and peanut buttery in texture.

I have spoken to the healthcare centre and GP who have said it is "normal" and he should grow out of it between 3 and 4 months.....in the meantime can anyone offer any suggestions to ease my little mans misery as I just feel so sorry for him.

Thank you
Charlie's Mum
apparently it is normal for breastfed babies to have this trouble and the texture sounds healthy.
i used coloxyl drops when my daughter was uncomfortable with it. it worked well and she loved the taste too, chocolate and caramel mm-mmm!
you can get coloxyl at your local chemist, i was also reccomended to use a little diluted prune juice but DD refused it point blank!
hope this helps,
mel

mel, ella jasmine 13/06/04 & benjamin tyler 6/8/06

Charlies Mum, I don't know if this would work for you or not. A mum in my group has the same problem so she keeps oranges on hand. When her boy is grunting and groaning, she sqeeses an orange and puts a syringe full (panadol one)in his mouth and sqirts it in. She reckons it works like a charm and he has done his job in minutes.
I havent experienced myself, so I dont know how it would work on other bubs, but it could be worth a try, no harm done!

DD1 July 2004 DD2 August 2007 DS September 2009

Hi Charlie's Mum
My babe did the same, its not nice. Try giving him extra water. I cooked some pumpkin and added extra water, I gave her the pumpkin water when I thought she needed it. She loved it but it didn't taste very nice to me. It also helped her poos come out a bit easier.
Hope this helps.
Fisherboy
i have heard if you hold their legs up so they are kinda in the squatting position it helps them relieve them selves much easier. Also if you are going to start solids soonish - start with pears it soon gets the bowels moving.
Even if you try and give your baby a little bit of water, most babies dont take just water so it is ok to put a little bit of sugar in the water to "at first" make them want to drink it!

hope your long pooing days dont last too long!

mumsgroup.tk -Kayden 31.1.05 & Tianah 25.8.06

Hi there,

my little girl Emily who is nearly 4 months old had a lot of trouble with pooing. My advice to you is start giving him some boiled water at the right temp between feeds and you will soon see the difference. It does take time but trust me it helps.

My email address is hoppy@netspace.net.au. let me know how you go.

Nicole Hopkins

Hi Charlie's Mum,

When my son (also breastfed) had that problem, the doc prescribed some medicine for it, I think it is over the counter too at the pharmacy. It is called Colloxyl drops (I think that's the right spelling) and worked wonders. Maybe ask your chemist for it, as I know it is difficult watching your baby like that. I gave it to my son when he was only 3 weeks (doctors advice) then anytime he hadn't done a poo after that for over 5 days, it assisted him until he grew out of it not long after.

Vaccines: Question what you're told...

Hi Charlies mum,

I have experienced a baby in distress over not having normal bowel functions.
My daughter Allanhah was born with downsyndrome and 5 months on she was also diagnosed with hirschsprung's disease (bowel Disease), it started off as either constipation or diahreah she never had a day where her bowels were normal, anyway all is well now.
Just to let you know hirschsprung's is not only associated with downsyndrome anyone can have it.
For more information please visit my website.. http://groups.msn.com/hirschsprungssupportgroup

All the other advice that you have recieved in the forum is solid advice as i went through doing all this aswell.

Water is the best solution as the bowel loses water at a certian point and thats what causes constipation
the bowel needs water to pass the stools without discomfort but as i said all the advice you have recieved from everyone else is good advice.

Something that i have also used that was reccommended to me by the local chemist is Actilax this also puts the water back into the bowel, as always though before you try anything like this speak to your health professional first.

I hope i have been able to help you in some way, goodluck and best wishes.

signed...I know how you feel

Joy...NSW...mum of 3G's

Hi there,

my little girl Emily who is nearly 4 months old had a lot of trouble with pooing. My advice to you is start giving him some boiled water at the right temp between feeds and you will soon see the difference. It does take time but trust me it helps.

My email address is hoppy@netspace.net.au. let me know how you go.

Hi, my baby is currently going though the same thing. I will give this a try. It is such a relief to hear other people experiencing the same thing, I thought it might have been due to something I was eating or doing.
Sign in to follow this topic