Nappies

Learn More
  1. home
  2. Baby Forum
  3. Baby
  4. Baby's Health
  5. Its scary being a mum?

Its scary being a mum? Rss

My baby is only 6 weeks old, and he scares me everyday! Last night I lay awake for 2 hours, listening to a gurgle in his belly, and then a noise that sounded like dry retching. Then it happened again today, and he vomited up something that just looked like water, but had a horrible smell. He is on anti reflux formula, but he still vomits after every feed, sometimes it looks as though he has thrown up his full bottle. He gulps as he drinks, which I am sure is a main factor, but he also gulps air when he not drinking - making a loud scary sound. Can anyone help me? Has anyone had a similar experience?

Marti, NSW, Baby Boy born on 17th July 2003

I know how you feel, you jump at every little noise and movement they make. My daughter Katelyn vomits after feeding about 90 % of the time (she is fully breast fed and 5 months old) and it used to freak me out because it looked like she was bringing up all of her feed but i was told by a midwife that it was probably worse than it looked for example if you got a spoon full of water and tipped it out on the ground it is amazing how much mess it will make, so it may look like alot but it may only be a little bit of overflow making a big mess. If it really concerns you tell your doctor. You should also look at your babys growth and development. If he is growing well and has plenty of wet nappies then he probably is fine. I cannot comment on the gulping though because i would need to hear it to comment. I hope i have been on some help to you and dont forget to talk to your doctor or midwife if you are really concerned, thats what they are there for!
(congratulations on your baby too by the way!)
Amanda

Amanda NSW mother to Jacob & Katelyn

Hi Marti,
My daughter i'm sure had reflux and spewed after every single feed she had, which was only breastmilk until a month ago. I still breastfed and didn't bother with anti reflux formula as she was generally pretty happy and didn't seem to mind being sick. It usually looks worse than it is and is just the baby's way of getting rid of excess that they drank and didn't need. My daughter would throw up a watery substance at times too but never seemed worried about it so i didn't worry either. Usually, you'll know if there's a problem with your little one. The night waking to check they're o.k. will soon dissipate and you'll get used to it. Make sure to put bub in his own room sooner rather than later though, it doesn't help. I know....we only moved our baby out at 6 months and it was harder then on her and us. If you become really concerned, go to your local family planning and health centre...they are a big help...otherwise your local GP. Good luck with it, i'm sure he's fine.
You are right it is scary being a first time mum, so much to learn. Your not alone with the worrying! When bubs throw up it always looks far worse and much more than it really is. Its possible that formula doesnt suit him. Maybe speal to a doctor about a lactose free formula. My son (now 6.5 Months) was same, he had colic and reflux when he was tiny, i was breastfeding but he still gulped and was always throwing up, then it got worse when i put him on bottle, i took him to a doc and he turned out to be lactose intolerant, since being on the new formuala he has been so much better.

Dp: Danny: 30/10/82, Ds: Joshua: 25/03/03

As a first time mum, my 3month old son has always vomited after a feedsince he was born, at times it'd be little or a lot. So long your baby seems happy and is gaining weight, your baby's healthy. Keep the baby upright for a while after feeds, don't lay him down straight away! It should stop after a month or two.

Just an idea, have you tried an anti colic bottle??
Make sure that if he seems to be gulping to take the bottle away for a second and let him get a breath without swalloing air.
You can also buy infacol, an anti-colic medication that you give before a feed, but check with your doctor before using it.

Connor 24/1/03, Oliver 8/6/04, Zachary 5/12/07

Hi, my daughter is now nearly 5 months old. She is fully breast fed and throws up if she drinks too fast. At night she usually drinks really slow and she is okay then. I know how scary it is, being a first time mum and being all alone with this little bundle that is only your responsibility. That's how i feel anyway. Mine doesn't have a father so every time her temp goes up or she starts crying loud, which is out of character, I have to deal with it alone not knowing what to do. My child health nurse must be getting tired of hearing from me, but at least it gives peace of mind. Do you have a number for child health? Maybe they can help settle your nerves like they did mine.

mother to Hannah born August 9 2003

Sign in to follow this topic