Huggies Forum

Huggies® Ultimate
Nappies

Learn More
  1. home
  2. Baby Forum
  3. Baby
  4. Baby's Health
  5. Isnt breastfeeding meant to help ward of colds?

Isnt breastfeeding meant to help ward of colds? Rss

As the title reads i thought it was meant to help?
or am i misinformed?or does it just help it go quicker?
I have in my life only been sick a handful of times so if he is getting my antibodies he should be getting sick less.
Just sad he is sick again.I feel for the little bugger.
Hi. It is so hard when they are sick. Unfortunately the common cold virus mutates or changes very often so noone is immune from it. That is why we can have the cold often eventhough we have had a cold before. Breastfeeding will help him get better quicker but will not stop him from catching the cold in the first place as you will have antibodies to a different form of the cold. Good luck and hope he gets better soon. Remember to do the things to him that we do with ourselves when we have a cold - pain relief, saline spray up the nose, heaps of fluids and cuddles.

Tiff, Vic. Isaac born 10/3/06 Number 2 due 3/2/10

Siblings get sick much more than 1st children, as they bring the colds home to the little ones.

I breastfed my first 2 children for a year, and had to bottle feed my 3rd after 4 months, and both my 2nd and 3rd - one being BF and the other bottle, have been sick equally.

Breastfeeding for me, didn't really make a difference to how often they get sick. But I did find when I was breastfeeding if I had a cold, bubs was less likely to get it, but if his brother did and i didn't he would occasionally get it.

Hope your little one gets better quickly smile

Siblings get sick much more than 1st children, as they bring the colds home to the little ones.

I breastfed my first 2 children for a year, and had to bottle feed my 3rd after 4 months, and both my 2nd and 3rd - one being BF and the other bottle, have been sick equally.

Breastfeeding for me, didn't really make a difference to how often they get sick. But I did find when I was breastfeeding if I had a cold, bubs was less likely to get it, but if his brother did and i didn't he would occasionally get it.

Apparently the one thing they "aren't supposed to get" while breastfeeding is gastro. Apparently our breastmilk has stuff in it that helps bub fight it without getting sick. Handy!

Hope your little one gets better quickly smile
My daughter is nearly 3 months old and has been in hospital 3 times now with colds. I asked them the same question and apparently it doesn't stop them getting sick just stops them getting as sick but because she has an older sibling who has been bringing the colds home it's pretty much inevitable that she will get them too with him coughing and sneezing. My GP said the first few months tend to be the worst and then things tend to improve. Goodluck smile
Sign in to follow this topic