Huggies Forum

Huggies® Ultimate
Nappies

Learn More

Gastric Reflux Rss

Hi,

I have a 6mth old who is on medication (Losec 10mg morn & night) for gastric reflux. I read an article recently about a mum taking her baby to a Chiropractor. Does anyone know much about what exactly the Chiro does and whether it works?

Thanks,
Sam

Mum to toddler

Hello theres some information on this in the post in the newborn section, under sleep and settling called "sleeping a bay with Gastric Reflux" by pete. This may answer some of your questions.
I took my son to a chiropractor for his reflux and we did find this helped him heaps. A chiropractor does what they call adjustments to your bones basicly. You can have your bones out of alignment which if left or untreated can cause pain in other places or things like pinched nerves. If this occurs its called a subluxation which means the message to your brain from your body are not being read properly. Its a lot more technical than that but that is a short version. It is very gently especially on babies. When our son was very little it seemed like they did nothing as they were so gentle. Our son use to laugh and giggle all the way through his adjustments so that shows he was not in any discomfort. Then you can also see a Paediatric Cranial Osteopath which works on their skull. They are also very good. It is a personal decision really but have a look at the above mentioned site and make your own opinion. There is also a chiropractic association which would be able to give more info or contact your local chiro and ask for information as they are very helpful. Good luck
Hi Sammie,
My 7 month old had really bad reflux and was also on Losec (same dose as your bubby). About a month ago I decided to stop his medication. Now he no longer needs to take Losec, to our relief.
But, back to the chiropractor, we tried a cranial osteopath, which is similar to a chiropractor only they tend to do soft tissue work as well as working with the bone structure. He had roughly 6 sessions and unfortunately we had no improvment. That's not to say you baby won't (as we know all bubby's are different). We were getting desperate and were willing to try anything to ease Noah's pain.
I found that accupunture helped slightly, but I think the only thing that helps is time.
Now that Noah is sitting up and a little more mobile, his reflux has improved dramatically. As your bubby grows and the valve that controls the flow of the gastric juices strengthens, I think all you can do is hang in there and know that there is light at the end of the tunnel and the problem won't be there forever and sooner than you know bubby will be perfectly healthy and free from pain.
It's a vey trying time for everyone involved. All the best and if you need someone to talk to my email address is rainbowstorm@hotmail.com
Your both in my thoughts. I hope things improve soon.
Cheers!
Storm.
(Lynette)
Hi there,

Thank you so much for your response. When you stopped giving your baby his Losec, did he react in any way? I would love to stop Jordan's Losec also, I might do that in the next week or so, and see if that makes a difference.

It scares me a bit because I know how much pain he was in before his medication. As a newborn he also had bad colic which was really awful for him.

Thanks for your kind thoughts. I will email you when I have more time on my hands, hopefully over the weekend, when dad is at home.

Sam

Mum to toddler

Hi Sam,
I hope things have been going well.
When I stopped giving Noah his Losec it made absolutely no difference at all.
I was a lot like you, really scared to stop his medication, I kept thinking back to how much pain he was in before he was on the Losec and I didn't want him to have to go through all of that again. But if you do stop giving Jordan his medication and you notice he's in pain, you can always start him back on it.
Just make sure he's not just having a bad day. Your probably best to stop it for a couple of days and see if there's any difference.
If you have any fears about it at all, contact you doctor and talk to him about it.
Goodluck, let me know how it all goes.
Cheers!
Lynette.
Sign in to follow this topic