Huggies Forum

Could it be autism? Lock Rss

Ok so I reaslised too late that the medical help panel forum is closed now. I'm hoping someone out there can help me. I realised yesterday that my beautiful 11 month old daughter has stopped saying "mum" and "dad" and "cat" and ignores me when I call her name. These can be symptoms of autism and i am worried sick now. In every other respect she seems normal (she waves, smiles, crawls etc) but until the last week or so she would always respond when I called her name and was saying mum and dad and cat. Is this just a phase she is going through or should I take her to the doctor? Has anyone elses baby done this but turned out ok? Plase help - I feel sick with worry. Literally.

The fact that she had already begun responding and talking tells me that this is just a phase. I recall my first born (now 2-1/2) going through something similar. I would see how things go for a bit before you see a doctor as they will probably tell you not to worry unless this goes on for an extended period of time. You can always visit your CHN and tell them of your concerns and they will point you in the right direction smile

mummy of 2 angels

Thanks Bec.p you have eased my mind a bit. I might actually get some sleep tonight but think I will have a nightcap anyway. I really think I need to stop looking on the internet - like they say " a little knowledge can be a dangerous thing". I worry all the time - if it's not one thing it's another. Maybe bub is fine and it's me that needs help..... starting to make me feel utterly miserable.

oh you poor thing it doesnt sound like autism as your bub is crawling and has said words before, i have a friend who has an autuism child and he never did a thing not crawled, never spoke a word til he was 4 years old,never tried to interact and could never wave and hold a bottle. you could egt it checked out but i think your bub is perfectly normal and is healthy.
[Edited on 30/06/2007]
Thanks Mylilpoppet. I feel a lot better now. I feel sympathy for your friend with the autistic son. The idea of anything not being right with my baby is so frightening. I can't imagine how horrible it must be when your fears are realised. I hope I never find out.

im sorry to pop the bubble.. but this post

oh you poor thing it doesnt sound like autism as your bub is crawling and has said words before, i have a friend who has an autuism child and he never did a thing not crawled, never spoke a word til he was 4 years old,never tried to interact and could never wave and hold a bottle. you could egt it checked out but i think your bub is perfectly normal and is healthy.

ALL AUTISTIC CHILDREN ARE DIFFERENT. my daughter did EVERYTHING normally walked, talked, crawled, was very intelligent for her age. then at a point between 11-18 months she stopped. she still responded to her name etc... i would get it checked out. early intervention is the ONLY way we can help out kids. get it checked out. and kick and scream til someone listens to you. we got told eilish had slow speach and we brushed it under the carpet. please if you've noticed changes all you can do is get it checked out as most appointments to get a child diagnosed take up to 2 yrs.

Narelle, Eilish 5th june 2002 TTC since dec 2002

autism is either evident from birth or kicks in at about 11-24 months.

if you would like to chat please feel free to email me

kodeybear@hotmail.com this is also my msn
[Edited on 05/07/2007]

Narelle, Eilish 5th june 2002 TTC since dec 2002

Hi,

Perhaps it's got something to do with her hearing. It might be worth getting that checked out.

My mum said that when I was younger, she thought that when I was ignoring her, it was because I was being naughty - it turned out that I had a problem with my hearing and therefore couldn't hear her smile

Just a thought.....
Sign in to follow this topic