Huggies Forum

Huggies® Ultimate
Nappies

Learn More

When To Start Solids??? Rss

My son is 14 weeks old and I am considering starting him on some rice cereal soon, as he seems to be a hungry little boy. He is currently bottle feed and has 5-6 bottle at 180mls a day. So people say go for it and try the solids, it never hurt their children, but I get other people saying I should wait until he is 6 months as they can develop food allergies and other problems.

Has anyone else been in the same boat and what did you do about it? I'd really appreciate some advice from other mothers.

Regards
Dayna

Mum to Aiden John (born - 1st September 2003)

Hi Dayna,
Firstly I would like to say I love your sons name. My eldest son's name is Aiden, spelt exactly the same. He is 10 years old. I have 3 kids. I also have a daughter aged 8 years, and another son aged almost 8 months. All 3 of my kids started solids at 6 weeks of age. They only had rice cereal until they were 4 months of age, but they were feeding all the time, and needed more. Their father was on solids at 3 weeks of age, and so was most of his brothers and sisters (he is the eldest of 8). None of his family had problems from starting solids at an early age, and neither did any of my kids. It won't hurt him to try. He will only eat it if he wants it. Good luck.
Tracey

Mother of 3, Qld

Thanks for replying Tracey. Don't come accross the name Aiden very often especially spelt with the E, what a spin out!

In regards to starting him on solids, I seem to have a lot of people telling me that they can get food allergies if you start them too early. Do any of your kids or your husbands family have food allergies? Some times I think the so called professionals tell us these things to frighten us!!!

Hi Dayna,
I first saw the name "Aidan", but I didn't like the "A", so I changed it to an "E". In relation to food allergies, none of my kids, or my husbands family have any food allergies. My neice and nephew suffer bad eczema, but they didn't start solids until they were nearly 5 months. My baby also suffers from eczema, but he had that at 3 weeks of age - before he started on solids, so I don't think food has any thing to do with it. I wouldn't give anything else other then the rice cereal until he is at least 4 months of age, but rice is so mild it can't hurt him. Just give him a little cereal mixed with his milk, one feed a day. If he gets contipated, don't give him another feed for a couple of days. He should be able to tolerate it though, as he is almost 4 months. You won't know if you don't try.
Tracey

Mother of 3, Qld

Hi Dayna,

is Aiden showing interest when your family sits down for a meal? If so, it might be worth a try. I tried a little rice cereal when Madison was 4 1/2 mths, and she still couldn't swallowing properly, all it did was cause more work for me. So I stopped for a couple of weeks and then tried again when she was nearly 5 mths, it was much better and she now loves her rice cereal.

Have a go, but don't worry if at first he can't swallow, just stop for a little while and try again when you are ready.

Vic, 2 girls - 9 yo & 17mth old

I tried Aiden on solids this morning. I made it very runny like the box said to. He pushed out the first couple of tries (but had a smile on his cheeky face while he was doing it), and then started swallowing small amounts. I then gave him a bottle about an hour and a half later. I'll try it every couple of days and see how we go from there.

Thanks for your advice guys, I really appreciate it..

Dayna

Dayna
Hi I started both my kids on solids at 2.5 months as they were both bottle fed hungry babies and were always hungry and I have two very healthy kids it did them no harm.So go for it.You will probably find him more settled as well.with a full belly.
Good Luck
Bec
hey there, I think you start solids when you think your child is ready. I havent started my 3 month old yet but have had no problems since putting her on the bottle. We are fine and I think you all agree we were all started about 6 weeks of age on rice cereal.If your baby is active then they are obviously needing more to burn. Was also thinking that if I had started feeding my child solids while breastfeeding I may not have ahd to give it up, as she would have been full or aty least a little more happy, do you think this is so? I do miss the breastfeeding but also like the bottle feeding. I suppose will have to wait and see for the next little one. Anyway Hope all goes well. C ya

bams,WA, 3mth daughter

Sign in to follow this topic