Huggies Forum

Huggies® Ultimate
Nappies

Learn More

Thumb sucking Rss

Hi

Just wondering if anyone has any advice for me on thumbsucking.

My little girl is 16 weeks old and has only just started sucking her thumb.
I get very anxious watching her do this and can't help thinking that she will be still doing it when she is 7 years old!
Does any one have any advice on stopping her or should i just let her do it? She is not interested in dummies.

Michelle

Michelle, 4m baby girl Hayley

theres probly nothing you can do. my friend is having the same problem excpept i feel it was her own fault as she is dead against dummies and her daughter is a real sucker. she would sit there with her own finger in her mouth for like 1-2 hours at times to settle her but she would not give her a dummy. now you cant keep the thumb out. she says its cute but like you said it wont be cute when there 7 and sucking it.

tamara

HI Michelle
My brother was a thumb sucker, I remember him still sucking his thumb when he was older, no one but the family does and I think as he grew it was more a night time comfort thing. My mum tried the bitter nail polish to get him to stop (when he was older) he was also a nail biter, that didn't work, he eventually grew out of it. At least I've never heard his wife complain (just joking).

Jeninne, WA, Bradyn 24/11/04, #2 Ryan 01/12/06

hi everyone,

i am starting to get a little worried about my little ones thumb sucking. ever since she was born she would not take a dummy, i tried offering her one all the time and she wasnt interested. she is now almost 8 months old and still refuses to take her dummy. i have read about how children who thumb suck can end up pushing their teeth forwards. i dont want that to happen. he dad (apparently) sucked his thumb till he was 8 years old!!! if there is any way to break this bad habit now before it could do damage i would love to know what it is!!!

first time single mum

Hi there

My 11 week old daughter has sucked her thumb every now and then from birth - I've always had to leave her right arm free when I wrap her so she can suck her thumb. The past week she has been sucking it a lot when she goes off to sleep. I don't think there's a lot you can do about it other than offering a dummy - but that has its own associated problems. They will grow out of it eventually.

As for thumbsucking causing crooked/pushed out teeth - I think that's a bit of a myth. My older sister was the only one out of 4 of us who sucked her thumb and was the only one not to need braces on her teeth.

Take care
Jasmine
I have three kids and my 4 and 5 year olds are both thumb suckers. When they were babies we thought it was so cute but I wish we had put a stop to it back then. They both suck there thumbs now, we are constantly telling them to GET IT OUT, and the nail polish stuff didn't work. They both still have all their baby teeth but their front teeth are starting to stick out and apparantly this will cause problems for their adult teeth when they come through.

I have a 5 month old baby who wanted to suck his thumb, but every time it went in I pulled it out. I agree with an earlier post to find a dummy that your baby likes. My baby will only suck on the happy baby orthodontic ones and they are not that expensive.

In retrospect it is easier to throw away the dummy then it is to keep the thumb out of their mouth.

Good luck!

3 kids, 5,4 and 5mth

HI Michelle,

I have been fighting this one since day one!!

I have the same fears, although i have been told its not very likely. I am persistant in not letting eliza (5months) do it. I take it out and give her the dummy. I also noticed that sometimes she wants to suck and sometimes she wants to chew, so i let her go as long as she is only chewing and she usually stops fairly quickly.

Do you use a dummy?
Let me know if you find anything that works well smile

Leanne, Eliza Jade 17/1/05

Master 11 weeks tries to suck his thumb but usually only cops a finger or two..lol... we had been pulling the thumb back out if he got it in right!.. but I doubt there is any real way to stop what comes naturally.. I am not too concerned about it but my hubby is as his brother was still trying to secretly suck his thumb in high school...(his father told me..) Neither of our two girls sucked on their thumbs or needed a dummy so thumb sucking is all new to me!!!
We don't like dummies so choose not to offer one. Everyone has the freedom of choice to choose dummy or no dummy! It's up to you!

Kel,nsw, Girl '97 & Girl '02 & Boy '05

Sign in to follow this topic