Huggies Forum

Underweight?!? Lock Rss

Hi

My baby is 8 1/2 months and is above average for height and below average for weight. The nurses that I see don't seem too concerned but to me he looks much skinnier than all the other babies I see.

Last Weigh he had he was 8kg and the weigh before he was 8.3kg, so He did loose weight. Is anyone else worried about there babies weight? I'm thinking about quitting breastfeeding so he can pork up on the formula. Any advice is appreciated.

thanks

Rebecca- Gordon Park, Qld

i recently weaned my daughter who is little but not skinny (10 months) onto formula and she has been stacking on the weight since!
apparently the health benefits of breastfeeding vs formula balance out at around 6 months so it was more of a convenience issue for me when i weaned!

mel

mel, ella jasmine 13/06/04 & benjamin tyler 6/8/06

I agree with Mel, i have read that formula bubs are a bit plumper and my daughter definitely is true for the fact. She is fully breastfed, 10 months and only just 8 kilos. I was considering weaning for this reason but have decided to stick with it as we both really enjoy our booby time for the moment! My health nurse says all breastfed babies are lighter which does NOT mean they get more hungry then formula bubs. My daughter eats so much solid food and even looks tubby, she is just really light. Dont worry, if she is happy and healthy you are doing a great job - when she is older i am sure her weight will balance perfectly.

jen, mum to sahra born 28.6.04

Back again Rebecca, just another question, does he eat a lot of solids? Mabye you will want to get your bub weighed again in a week just for peace of mind as he lost a bit of weight. The baby health nurses are there to give info as well as advice, mine gave me a bit about breast fed bubs and how they only take what is required whereas bottle fed bubs will enjoy a bit extra.
Good luck , Jen

Hi bec,
I wouldnt worry to much, 8kg at 81/2 months is good.My daughter is 8.5kg at 12 months! I would only start to worry if he had lost weight again at his next weigh in. Oh, and my daughter was(and still is!) a formula bub!

Jordan 7/3/01 & Ashleigh 5/4/04

Hey my girl has been bottle fed from birth due to not latching onto breast and refusing feeds basically. She is coming up 9 months old on 28th of this month, and is just on 7.1 kgs. She has never been a big baby, she was 6pound born, and I Cant wait for her to hit 8kgs to turn her car seat around hahaha but I think I too will be wating till shes atleast 12 months. Shes never been a fast one for weight, and can fluctuate. when she was first born she was putting on around 230grams a week, but that has slowed right down till atleast 70grams a week, she has 3 big solid meals, and around 4times 180ml bottles a day. She loves food, not overly keen on her bottles, but is happy healthy extremely active, and thankfully she seems to take after my sister in the weight stakes at this stage ahah long may this continue, she is 75cms in length, and is classed in 3% of population for weight, and above average for length, so it all works out haah

anyway take care Love Kel and Mckenzie xoxo

Mckenzie Cate 28/7/04 & Lexi Breanne 10/5/07

Thanks for all the advice and reassurance.

Jen- Nate eats 3 Solid meals plus either morning or afternoon tea (one or the other)

One reason I was getting so worried was because I've had his grandparents in my ear telling me that he spends too much time at the breast and is obviously not getting what he needs.

Its good to now he isn't the only lean. mean, fighting machine!!!

Good on you Bec. I too have had comments that Sahra would be 'happier' on formula and isnt a 'cute chubby bubby'. Amazingly these comments have been from a close friend and also a family member. I would never make comments like that to formula or breastfed bubs and think it is so rude. Lucky i had my baby nurse to reassure me that my darling bub is not starving and is normal. If our bubs and us mums are happy, who are others to critisise? Good luck with your perfect little boy.

Mothers instinct accounts for alot!! keep on going with your gut feeling and do whats right for u and ur bubs when its right!! some babies will be of slower growth than others, doesnt mean its the right or wrong way.

My mates mum is a neonatal nurse, and she said a good sign of growth, is double their birth weight at six months and triple it by 12 months. Of course this aint law, and is based on average birth weights, but it can give us some indication of how well things are going. Upon saying that, if bubs is happy and obviously healthy, why change when one is onto a good thing hah?? Take care ladies!! have a great one

Love Kel and mckenzie xoxox

Mckenzie Cate 28/7/04 & Lexi Breanne 10/5/07

At 8 months old my son was 95% in height and just on 50% in weight.. the child and youth nurce said it was nothing to worry about as at that age they start getting active and burn more weight.

Karina, S.A, mum to Kaleb born 25/07/04

HI
My baby boy is nearly 12 mths old and only weighs 9kgs, he has been on formula since 2 weeks old, he was born quite a big boy at 9pounds but lost a whole pound in 2 weeks, this is why we moved him to formula as he wasn't getting enough from the breast, but he has stayed very lean, he is a very long legged boy and is 74cms long now, all my other friends bubs around the same age are all so much bigger in weight and some of them are still breastfeed. So I think it goes on the individual growth of the baby not what you feed them as my boy has 4 bottles a day and eats 3 solid meals a day, but still puts on the weight slow. Also my daughter has been small, she is now 4 years old and is 15kgs and only 94cms tall at 12 mths old she was only just on 8kgs.
So don't worry too much each child is different and the charts they use don't suit everyone!
Hayley (NSW)

Hi all!

I finally got into to see the child health nurse and Nate has lost more weight. He now weighs 7.9kg not alot but there is deffinately something going on and we have been referred to Riverton.

I let you know how we go- Fingers and toes crossed!!!!

Sign in to follow this topic