Huggies Forum

Huggies® Ultimate
Nappies

Learn More

bumpers Rss

The SIDS experts advise not to use cot bumpers for babies under 1yr old but my 15 week old boy has learnt to roll and wiggle around his cot until he gets an arm and a leg through the bars, bumps his head and then cries to be rescued! Has anybody else had this problem?

qld, baby boy Torren, 11-8-03.

I have 3 children. Aiden (boy) is now 10.5 years, Angelique (girl) is 8 years and Brady (boy) who is only 7 months. I used cot bumpers with my older children as I had the same problem you are having. Both my older children are ok, and I never had any problems with them getting stuck or smothered. I am currently using the same bumpers with my 7 month old, and haven't come across any problems yet. Just make sure it is tied properly and tightly, so that your son cannot get under it. I added extra ties to mine so that there was no room for my babies to be able to get between the bumper and the bars. I hope this has helped you. Good luck with your baby.

Mother of 3, Qld

Hi,
I too heard all the bad stuff about bumpers, but it was a toss up between letting my daughter bash her head on the bars or put in a bumper. I put in a bumper and made sure it was very secure. I spoke to a few other mum's who said as long as your baby can roll over and lift their head it shouldn't be a problem. What ever you decide, you have to do what is best for you and your baby.
I too heard all the bad stuff about bumpers, but it was a toss up between letting my son hit his head at the end of cot when he pushs himself up or put a leg & arm thru the cot bars put in a bumper. I put in a bumper and made sure it was very secure.
My mum is even getting one for the cot at her place so when she looks after him during the day she also knows he can't hit his little head.

Michelle, mum to Corey 14/3/03 - Bankstown

I myself dont use bumpers, nor do I use a conventional cot for my son. Since my son was born he has either slept with me (which the dont recomend), on a u pillow (which they dont recomend), or in a portacot which is basically the same as bumpers.

I feel that the mother does know best in most cases, so if you want to use it, its up to you. Another thing that you might want to try is those sleeping bag suits that you can buy, it doesnt let their little legs out so they help.

Let us know how you go and what you decide to do

Connor 24/1/03, Oliver 8/6/04, Zachary 5/12/07

Sign in to follow this topic