Huggies Forum

Huggies® Ultimate
Nappies

Learn More

My squealing baby boy!! Rss

Hoping someone can help me with any sort of advice or suggestions for how to cope with a squealer!! My 7.5mnth old boy has been doing this for the last couple of months now.
It can be quite ear pearcing at times.
Sometimes it does signal tiredness or boredom but othertimes I think he just loves the sound of it.

He's the loudest baby I know. Hard to do anything much in public without feeling like everyone is watching.
Will he ever quieten down??

Anyone???

Jiffa

mum of 2

Hi there Jiffa,

My advice to you is that if your baby is not squealing due to pain, fear or distress then I wouldn't be too concerned. He might be doing it for a reaction (which you probably give him) or he is testing out his sound / vocal range.

I have a daughter who is 11 months old now, but at about 9 months she developed this 'fake cough' to get my attention. If I ignored her she would cough louder and louder until she got a reaction. I found it to be quite funny.

Don't worry about others in public...
Babies are babies and they will do what comes natural to them.

Try ignoring him or distracting him when he does it and see what happens. Goodluck
Hi Jiffa,
My 6 1/2 month old girl does exactly the same thing. She squeals and groans sooo loud that when we're down the street people turn and stare and some have asked me if she's alright!!! She just loves the sound of it. I don't think there's much you can do to stop it, although if we do say "thats enough' she tends to stop for a while. They're not silly, they know whats what. When she really gets going at mothers group, the other bubs start crying coz she sacres them. I feel a little embarressed, but then I think she's just a baby that's finding her voice.
Have fun with those squeals- maybe we should invest in some earplugs!!!

Lisa, SA, baby girl (4.5.03)

Thanks Michelle and Lisa

I'm hoping it's just a phase. It does get your attention though and he figured that out early on.
Works particularly well when he's in his car seat too!!

I figured out he stops if I start singing nursery rhymes...just hope my singing isn't worse than his squealing!!

Bye for now.

Jiffa

mum of 2

Hi

My son did exactly the same thing, the first week he was doign it i would yell and scream for him to stop but I find the best thing was to just ignore him, he soon grew tired of doign it. Good luck.
Karlee

Karlee, WA, 1 & 2 yr old boys.

hey jiffa! when you say he is the loudest baby i know i can hear myself!! my 10 month old has been squealing for about 4 months! when we go shopping everyone else's baby is sitting quietly and happily in their prams etc and toby is just going to town squealing his little head off. it can be deafening! i don't think there really is a reason except he likes the sound of his own voice! we are just hoping that once he can use some words he will quieten down. we do tell him shh! sometimes he seems to get it other times he just ignores me!! good luck!!

Kelly,QLD, boy 23.01.03 and girl 08.04.05

I thought i had the loudest baby...lol My 11 month old has been screaming for as long as she could make a noise and sometimes its embarassing when out shopping. I even went to a christening a couple of weeks ago and she was screaming that loud it made another baby cry. Even when shes in the bath she will scream and its that loud that i have to stand outside the door to keep an eye on her cause her screaming makes my ears hurt.

Linda, NSW, mum of Olivia (b) 03.01.03

Hi Jiffa,
As mother of 3 children, I can understand you concerns. Babies love the sound of their own voice, and they love the reactions they get when they squeal. There isn't much you can do, although I found with my older son (who is now 10.5 years), if I squealled at him louder, he quitened down, as there was someone else louder than him. This also worked for my daughter (now 8 years), and is currently working for my 7 month old son. This can be hard to do whilst shopping though, so just ignore his squeals, but keep on talking him. Enjoy his squeals while they last, as they grow up and start talking non stop all too soon, and you wish for the days of the baby squeals again. Good luck!

Mother of 3, Qld

Sign in to follow this topic