Huggies Forum

Huggies® Ultimate
Nappies

Learn More

walkers??? Rss

Im just wondering what everyone thinks of walkers? My daughter is starting to get angry as she cant move so im condering buying one, what does everyong think?
Thanks TANIA

Tania,SYD,13mth girl. tania_heather@yahoo.com.au

Hi Tanya,

I don't think there are many positives when it comes to walkers except convenience, if you ask the experts! I believe that as long as your little one isn't in there too much it should not cause any problems! I think it has negative development issues when babies are left in there most of their waking day! Like everything, moderation is the key!

I won't be getting one, but every mummy and child are different,

Tepe

DD5, DS3, DS lost to SIDS at 6mths & DD6m

Hi Tania,
My son Corey who is 8months old. He has a walker and my mum & dad's place and absolutely loves it. We don't have one at home as our place is carpet. He sounds very much like you daughter, get very frustrated when he can't get around.

Michelle, mum to Corey 14/3/03 - Bankstown

Everything has its pro / cons...but I have heard of situations where children have hurt themselves & I didn't think they were still recommended. I won't be getting one for my son. I would rather him learn to walk naturally. I'm sure there are other alternatives. Good luck in your decision.
hi well i have a 6 and 1/2 mth old daughter who gets bored very easy and she cant keep herself entertained i said i would never use a walker but now i have one for her it gives her something to do and it keeps her entertained and happy.
hi,
Have you ever seen a baby walker that doesn't move. My 6 1/2 month old girl has one. I call it her baby tread mill. She can't move anywhere in it and still feels like she's moving. It's height ajustable so she can just sit and dangle her feet if she's feeling lazy or she can touch the bottom and the bottom moves around like a treadmill. Or have you got a jolly jumper, my girl LOVES that too. Jumping and twirling herself around. If you stick a mirror in front it seems to keep her more entertained. But in the end if you want to buy a walker it's your choice, as long as there's no stairs she can fall down and you watch her in it, I don't see a problem. ( geez I sounded like my mum for second there-scarey)
Bye for now

Lisa, SA, baby girl (4.5.03)

Hi my daughter had a walker from 7 mths and she loved it, she to got frustrated not being able to move.
If their only in it for short periods i dont think there is anything wrong with them, the make baby feel like they are part of whats going on.
Once my daughter started to crawl we stopped using it and now when we put her in it she just stands there and cries till we get her out, she is happier to pull herself up and move in her own way.

2 little darlings 29/01/03 + 17/03/05

Hi Tanya,

My little girl got a walker for Christmas, at 4 and a half months. She can already hold her own weight stanging up for a few seconds. I put her in it for short periods of time every so often, she isn't in there for long each time, but she absolutely loves it. She sounds like your daughter, frustrated that she can't move around fast. She can crawl but she likes to sit up and see everyone and move fast. I think so long as you watch them and you don't have stairs they can fall down, there's nothing wrong with it. It's only a safety hazard if you have stairs or carpet or other surfaces where it can tip or if you leave the child unattended.

mother to Hannah born August 9 2003

I have six children and all have used a walker for the period between rolling and crawling. It is much better if they are used where the walker cannot fall down stairs or tip over. Because we have sliding doors the runners have always prevented babies from going down the doorstep. My babies have always had short periods in the walker, they tend to get bored in them also i.e. they'll go on the floor until bored, then in the walker, then sitting up against pillows etc... They tend to get bored with each movement after about 20 mins anyway. All of my children have still crawled at about 9 months and walked at about 12 months (or earlier) so I don't think they hinder their development at all.
With six kids I think they are a god-send!

Brenda, 6 kids, NT

I don't think it harms their development in any way. My 2 brothers and i used them, and were all walking by 10 months. My daughter uses one and can stand for a few seconds, sit by herself, roll over and crawl. She has just gone 5 months now, and i wouldn't be without one. THe key is above all else supervise children, i can't express that enough. But you'll make the decision that is right for your child, all parents do. Good luck

mother to Hannah born August 9 2003

hi i dont have aany worries with walkers i have had 5 kids and every one of them was in a walker every one told me they would walk a tiptoes but no every one of them are just fine . my 11 month is one now he loves it i wouldnt no what i would do without it sometimes.

c.mclean

Recent studies have found that children have greater problems with reading and writing if they don't crawl much as babies. They have found that children with these problems have improved when they start playing games that involve crawling. As a baby learns to crawl they are learning most of thier coordination skills. And that includes hand/eye coordination. Walkers are very helpful in keeping them out of your hair, but they don't encourage them to crawl. I have also seen some horrific accidents that happen when a parent looked away from their child in the walker, for only a couple of seconds.

Weigh up the pros and cons and make an informed decision.

I know with my two girls I put up with the frustration. It was the frustration that finally got them to give it a go.

Marcelle Kleinmeulman

Sign in to follow this topic