Huggies Forum

Huggies® Ultimate
Nappies

Learn More

Eye colour?? Rss

hi, just wondering if anyone know what age a babies eye colour is at their permanent colour?? thanks

Kelly, NSW, Caleb born 3/10/00, Hannah born 21/8/0

Each individual child will differ, although the pigmentation should have changed by the age of two. I have seen eyes change colour all the way into adulthood though. Your best indication is what colour eyes the Daddy has, as apparently that gene is the strongest. Unless of course the mother has brown eyes, in which the brown eye gene is dominant. In other words, there really is no way to know for sure. I worked for an optometrist and saw many mums with brown eyes have babies with blue eyes from their fathers though. Go figure?
My paediatrician said whatever colour their eyes are at six months is what they will end up being. I have very dark brown, my husband is hazel and my son is very blue! My husband keeps saying he wants DNA tests!

My babies are all grown up sad

My midwife said the same thing, that @ 6 months the eyes will stay that colour. My daughter is almost 5 months & I found by about 12wks her colour had settled into blue & havent changed - like Nome, I am brown eyed, hubby hazel/green and bubs is blue! quite a surprise but no doubting who her parents are... grin

Arna & Paije (29/09/04)

My eldest son's eyes didn't change from blue to hazel until after his first birthday. My second son's are a deep blue colour and my daughters eyes are starting to turn from blue to hazel in colour. She will be one in 10 days.
smile

Adelaide, sahm, 2 boys 1 girl

hi thanks for your answers! i was just curious as my daughters eyes are still a beautiful blue and i was hoping that they stay that way as they havent changed at all from birth! my sons were blue but changed brown and i just cant remember when they changed! i guess every child is dufferent though! kelly

Hi,

Both hubby and i have brown eyes and our 5 month old daughter eyes have now turned brown.

I was told that if both parents have brown eyes then bubs can have blue or brown eyes, but if both parents have blue eyes they cannot have a brown eyed baby, not sure but thats what i have been told.

I was also told that not all babies are born with blue eyes although that is what we are led to believe, thats what i used to think.

Cheers,

Sherrie
Sherrie and baby Maddisyn 09/09/04
hi, thats what i have always thought that babies are born with blue eyes....?? anyway i have hazel eyes and my partner has bluey/grey eyes. when he was younger he had bright blue eyes and mu mum has blue eyes so maybe hannahs will stay blue!

Hi,

My little girl Emma had what looked like black eyes when she was first born, but now thay have gone a really nice smoky blue colour. She is 3 1/2 months old now. I have green eyes, but her Daddy has blues eyes, so we are hoping if he is the dominant colour they will stay their nice smoky blue. Who knows?
Naomi,
my sister's son is also named Lachlan and he has very blue eyes hes's 14 months old. both his mum and dad have very dark brown eyes.

TD, WA

Hi MummyT,
Thanks for the reply. Isn't it funny how a lot of parent's want their children's eyes to stay blue! I love having a blue eyed boy. Wishing you the best of luck with your birth.
Naomi

My babies are all grown up sad

not true i wanted my son to have brown eyes as his daddy has them and i have blue/green eyes and they were blue at birth but now they are brown boy was i happy.

susan,vic, tyler 3 yrs old

Sign in to follow this topic