Huggies Forum

still not crawling Lock Rss

i have a 8 month old that still isnt crawling, he loves playin on his tummy but he wont/cant pull his knees up, is this normal

lani, bathurst, mum to jacob 2 years

Hello Lani,
My bubs 8 months old and has only just started crawling (comando)
I couldnt wait till she started so i no how you feel, but i wouldnt be worried, My mum works in a child care centre and there are kids there that are nearly 12 months and not crawling.
And on the other hand my cousin started walking at 9 months old, its just so varied, i wouldnt worry. smile

julia, tas, 8mth baby

Hi Lani, my daughter isn't crawling yet either.. she had only just started to be able to bear her own weight aswell.. Olivia still gets around though, she slides in reverse on her tummy.. its so funny, yesterday she had reversed into the xmas tree!
Hi there,

Out of 7 of the babies in my mums group only 2 were crawling at 8 months.

There are 4 areas of development Physical (fine motor....fingers and gross motor....arms ,legs), Language, Social (and Emotional) and Intellectual. You will probably find that no babies equally develop these areas. So your child may be developing the other areas first.

And take it from me, both mine crawled at 5 months and walked at 9 months, and I envied those other mums being able to relax longer not having to chase after their children.

Although I know it can be frustrating for your little boy and thay may not be so relaxing for you.

Don't worry, he'll get there smile

Catherine,VIC,mother of 2

My son is 8 months and really shows no signs of wanting to crawl just yet. Every now and then he tries to bring one knee up but thats about it. I really wouldnt worry to much about it, babies do things at there own pace. Out of all my friends not two babies started crawling at the same age. My friends five month old is crawling!! and when i watch her hoon around the room and my son is just sitting and playing i have abit of a giggle to myself smile watching the mother chase her around the room.
Then my other friends kids didnt start till they were 9/10 months. So i say sit back and relax while you can!! smile

Mum to 11 month old boy

Hi lillybud,i know what u r going through as my baby is 8mths tomorrow and still not crawling,he does every thing else he can move backwards but not on his hands and knees,he is ahead with every thing else like he has 8 teeth is eating solides has said mum and dadda a couple of times,so i think when they r ready it will happen.hope i was helpful to u? bye from tylers mum.

susan,vic, tyler 3 yrs old

I wouldnt worry the average is 9 months, so if bubs not yet crawling its considerd normal.
My little boy isnt quite crawling yet and hes 8 1\2 months

Rochelle, mother of 2

I AGREE!!!! I WOULDNT WORRY EITHER. MY DAUGHTER IS 8MNTH MONDAY AND NOT CRAWLING. MY SON WAS CRAWLING AT 6MTHS AND HE WAS A NIGHTMARE, IM RELAXING, ONLY JUST THOUGH CAUSE HER ROLLING IS JUST AS BAD AS CRAWLING. THE ONLY PROBLEM I HAVE IS THAT SHE WANTS TO CRAWL SO MUCH SHE IS REALLY REALLY FUSTRATED, WHICH THEN FUSTRATES ME!!!!!!!

baby kendall dob 10.05.2004

Hi,

My son started crawling at 9 months. I really wouldn't stress every baby is different. He is now 17 months and has just started walking on his own.

I think we all worry too much that our children don't fit into what the books say is normal. Our baby's will only start to do things when they are ready and confident.

Larnie

Mummy to Joshie 15/07/03 & Hannah Lily 26/02/06

Hi,

My 7 1/2 month old isn't crawling either. She can get whereever she wants by rolling. I have tried putting a toy just out of her reach to see if that got her up and going but all she does is roll in a circle until she is within arms reach of it.

I also have a 2 year old who never crawled, when she was about 11 months she started to bum shuffle and didn't walk until she was 19 months.

I was worried about our 2 year old for a while ebcause she wasn't going any of the "normal" things. But she is now 2 and doing everything that she should be. I think all kids just go at there owen pace.

Although if anyone has hints on how to get an 8 month old crawling I am all ears, mine is desperate to chase after her sister.....

Amanda, ACT, 24 & 7mths girls

My little girl will be 10months on the 27th of this month, and shes been commando crawling for awhile now, and lastnight she actually crawled properly for the first time!

all my boys were crawling by 7months, so I just assumed she would be like them

anyway, if you wanna email me, feel free

[email protected]

(I am online 12 hours a day most days!)
I really wouldn't worry. My daughter did not start crawling until she was 11 months - I was concerned thinking there was something wrong, but she was a bright and bubbly child.

An ECE Teacher at my daughter's creche said that often the child is working on other areas of development - and often children who may be late crawlers/walkers, will excell in other areas of development than there peers at that time.

Admittedly it was nice to have those extra few months of not having to worry about her getting in to things. But when she started crawling, she made up for lost time.

Rere, NZ, mum of three

Sign in to follow this topic