Huggies Forum

Teething or not? Lock Rss

Hi everyone,

I have a four and a half month old son named Jack. Jack is a really good baby and sleeps through from around 6.30pm - 7.00pm to around 5.00am - 5.30am in the morning.

Just recently he has started to wake during the night. When he wakes it is not his normal cry of I am hungry etc, it is a cry (if you call it that) that I haven't heard before. He usually does this for about 5 minutes and then will settle himself down again.

Has anyone experienced this before? I thought that it might be his teeth, however he doesn't have rosy checks, he isn't really dribbling nor does he pull at his ears, however he does love his fingers in his mouth to apply pressure onto.

Thanks

Rachael - Jack, Alexis & Ryan

Hi Rachael,

Teething is such a pain and who knows when it will start or finish. A lot of children at around this age start to wake during the night for no particular reason and cry for no reason as well. If he is getting himself off to sleep you might find that he is just have a good old cry (don't we all need that sometimes) and he will grow out of it soon. No comfort I know, when it is 2am and he is screaming the house down! My daughter still does it sometimes and there is nothing that can calm her down - she just needs to let off steam. If she is like that I usually go to her, tell her I love her, give her a quick pat on the back and let her get on with it. The more I fussed over her, the longer it took to calm down. I hope this helps a bit and lets you know you are not alone.

Cym

Cymantha, NSW, DD 20/12/2003

Hi Rachael

I have a 6mth old little girl. She has had rosy cheeks, bitting, dribbling, pulling at ears, nappy rash, grizzly. She has all the signs of teething and has had them for around 2mths now and i still cant feel any teeth on there way. I know how u are feeling. So if people out there are able to help us that would be great..... =gasp

baby kendall dob 10.05.2004

Hi
I heard that constipation can be a sign of teething also. Anyone know if there's any truth to it?

Mikki has been slightly constipated for about a week, I've been giving her Coloxil drops but they don't seem to be working.

She has been having solids for 3-4weeks so I'm not sure if that is the reason or if she might be teething??
She has been grizzly, a little clingy, very dribbly (for weeks) but still her usual self most of the time.

Sorry went on a bit, it's late (remember NZ is a few hours ahead so it really is late).

Hope you all have a good nights sleep. I think I'll be asleep before I get to the bedroom!!
KJ

Mikki'sMum

Hi Girls,

My son had all the signs that you are all talking about (except the constipation) for a couple of months then came good and within a couple of weeks he had his first tooth come through without me even knowing! He seemed to breeze through it. The rest of his teeth were the same. Some coming through after each other quickly and some a couple of weeks inbetween. He now has four teeth (two on top and two on bottom).

If they are chewing on things that is a good sign that their teeth are on the move. Something I found great were the oral care packs that you can get that have three different types of toothbrushes in them. I got a Safety 1st one and the first one that you use has got a toothbrush handle on it with a bumpy head on top and they chew on that and it is meant to stimulate their gums. Jordan seemed to get relief from it.

Sorry for rambling but hopefully some of this helps.

Good Luck!
Have you checked him when he wakes, with all the weather changing, that he might not be too hot...or cold?..smile,

Heléna

Liam Evan, 2

Hi Helena,

He woke again last night and then re-settled himself. I haven't checked on him when he wakes. I do know that because the weather is changing it is sometimes hard to work out whether he should be in an all in one body outfit or his summer pjs. I know that when I put his sheet and one cotton thin blaket up at night he usually kicks them off.

Next time he wakes, I will check on him and see how I go.

Thanks for the thought!

Hi All,

Thanks for all your comments. The toothbrush is a good idea. I will give it a go after I have checked to see if he is too cold or hot.

Will keep everyone posted on how I go just in case your little ones start to experience anything similar.

Thanks again

Jack &

Hi everyone

I wasnt sure if my girl was teething a couple of weeks ago but now im sure. No teeth yet but the top of her gums are all bumpy, i think they are on there way. Think she's cross cutting.............

Teething is such a hard thing to work out sometimes.

Good luck Bye 4 now

baby kendall dob 10.05.2004

Hi litlemum,

just wonering what cross cutting meant?...

I'm a first time mum!...smile

Heléna

Liam Evan, 2

Hi Mums and Dads

I'm afraid I don't know what cross cutting means (first time mum too).

About the night crying, one of my twins cries out several times a night but goes right back to sleep. I'm not even sure if she wakes up or whether it's just a cry in her sleep.

And my boy wakes up crying then usually lets rips with some mighty farts, hyperventilates and throws his limbs about, grizzles and eventually drifts off again (farting pain).

And both of them shove their fists into their mouths, dribble, drool, blow bubbles etc but no sign of teeth.

Because they were premature, they recently went for their last check up with a paediatrician and I asked about the frothing at the mouth and teething. He said it doesn't mean anything and it's perfectly normal for their age (3-4 months) - that teeth could come through next week or in six months time and its impossible to predict.

So who knows. One of the mysteries of babies ... luckily they are very cute too.

Cheers (and happy sleeping)

Ange, mum of twins born early August 04

my daughter got 6 teeth in as many days when she was 6ish months old and she was a perfect teether. i have had it lucky with her i think. she is now 11months and still only has 6 teeth, but number 7 has just started to break through on the bottom.

i think that the lady talking about her baby being conwould be due to the indroduction of solids ijn her baby and not necessarily teething. i found that coloxyl drops were craqp and havent wqorked for my little girl also

19yr old 1st time mummy to ava born jan 7th 2004

Sign in to follow this topic