Huggies Forum

Huggies® Ultimate
Nappies

Learn More

walking at 6 months Rss

help my little girl has decided that she wants to skip the whole crawling thing and go straight to walking. she is pulling herself up to standing on the furniture and walking around it and has been for a couple of weeks. i thought it was ok at first as she just stood there but now that shes moving around i have noticed that although she is strong enough to do it she hasnt the co-ordination to do it well and has had a few nasty tumbles backwards. how do i keep her on all fours
You could try sitting her down everytime you notice her standing, and lots of tummy time.
Our DD is trying to walk at 9 months, but her physio has asked us to 'hold her back' and not encourage her (she can do a lap around the house if you hold one hand) to ensure she develops the right muscles.
But if they want to do it, they will!!!

Don't panic - my daughter did the exact smae thing -same age too. She walked for while then she started crawling - I even got down and showed her how! She crawled for about 4 months then. Eventually I had to convince her to try walking again - don't make that mistake because by 11months she was walking again and two weeks later she was running. I would try showing her and encouraging her to crawl - it is really important for their coordination. She will soon get the picture. Also have you got any friends whose babies are crawling? Best of luck.
maybe try moving her away from what ever she is walking around when you see her by putting her on her tummy and giving something exciting to play with..... crawling is important for left and right brain development...

she is a clever cookie ,,,, if she always heads for the coffee table she must be moving... maybe put the coffee table away for a wee bit.?
DS has been puling himself up since 6 months old. He can now stand up on his own at nearly 9 months so he will be walking in no time. Even though DS could stand and furniture walk at 6 months he still prefers to crawl. Just encourage her to crawl but some babies will skip crawling my sil was like that.
www.gymbaroo.com.au

Get yourself off to a class. I can't recommend it enough.

Your baby may think they are ready to walk but there are a whole lot of things that rely on sequential development through creeping, crawling and walking. Do a google search on gross motor skills and retained reflexes.

I didn't crawl, but I made sure my kids did.
Both my twins are doing the same thing but not so much pulling themselves up onto things dd is crawling now but ds isn't my health nurse advices us not to let them do that as it is not good for there muscles and there knee caps as they are notbyet formed properly yet. My sil tried telling me she started walking when she was 7 months old which my health nurse when I told her said she had never heard of such a thing but who knows lol. When I say walking I mean nom parent holdingbthem full on walking by them selves any one no of a kid walking at 7 months unaided?
My brother walked at 9 months and climbed out windows at 14,,,, he crawled rolled etc early...

but babies need to crawl... don't sit your babies put them on their back and let them do it on their own way....
thanks heaps for all of your suggestions. i have been trying to get her to stay on the ground but i think she is copying her brother as she sat up on her own very early and she loves to roll around on the floor with him but as soon as he gets up she is off after him. she does crawl but only until she gets to something she can stand up and hold onto. i see an occupational therapist myself who also helped my son with his neck problem when he was born so i may get him to have a look at her and make sure she isnt doing any harm to her muscles etc. thanks again ladies.
If anyone knows how to stop a baby from pulling themselves up onto things let me know! DD's been doing it for several weeks and everything i moved up off the floor now needs to be moved again! She's getting daring too, letting go and trying to stand unaided which inevitably ends in tears, but that doesn't stop her from trying again. And today i watched her get into standing position just using a wall for leverage, cheeky bubba.

Your mind is a garden, your thoughts are the seeds,
You can grow flowers or you can grow weeds.

Hi there,

I don't think you can ever stop a little one from doing what they want, especially if they have a brother or sister that they can copy. Sometimes they just have to make that choice themselves. Just remember that falling down and tumbling backwards are all a part of the learning process.

For your DD maybe try to do some midline exercises to increase their co-ordination. Make sure all interesting items are on the floor. And during playtime make it floor time.

Our youngest DS started taking his first steps just before 8mths. Now 10mths he's running around trying to catch his brother. He has a few tumbles and falls but we're around in case he needs a hug but there was no way we could stop him from walking. We could see and hear the frustration he had because he could only crawl and when he walked the light shone even more.

Both my twins are doing the same thing but not so much pulling themselves up onto things dd is crawling now but ds isn't my health nurse advices us not to let them do that as it is not good for there muscles and there knee caps as they are notbyet formed properly yet. My sil tried telling me she started walking when she was 7 months old which my health nurse when I told her said she had never heard of such a thing but who knows lol. When I say walking I mean nom parent holdingbthem full on walking by them selves any one no of a kid walking at 7 months unaided?

I have a friend who's DS was 7 months old and walking unassisted. I would never had believed it possible if I hadn't seen it for myself!! He is 4 now and has had no ill effects from it.
Sign in to follow this topic