Huggies Forum

Helmets for Flatheads Lock Rss

My bub has been wearing a helmet for her flathead (Plagiocephaly) for about a month and a half now. I was hoping there would be someone on this forum that has also had a bub that went through helmet therapy that would be able to share there own experience and whether or not the helmet helped there bub.
Due to plagiocephaly my but has a very uneven face. I would love to know if anyone elses bub had an uneven face and if this was fixed with the helmet therapy.

Thanks.

Hi,

Just wandering how the helmet was going with correcting your daughter's flat spot. My 10 week old don has developed a large spot on the back left of his head and I am really worried about it. Am going to take him to the dr to have it looked at, as yet it hasnt affected his face but don't want it to get any worse.
Hope everything is working out for your daughter
Hi

I have twins and one of them 5 month old now had a very flat head and we are going to pick up the helmet on the 19 of this month. I am really worried about how she will find the helmet to wear and the heat. How have things been for you?

Hi,

Just wandering how the helmet was going with correcting your daughter's flat spot. My 10 week old don has developed a large spot on the back left of his head and I am really worried about it. Am going to take him to the dr to have it looked at, as yet it hasnt affected his face but don't want it to get any worse.
Hope everything is working out for your daughter

We have seen really big improvements in the shape of our babies head and uneven facial features. Before we got the helmet for our girl we tryed aggressive repositioning and got her in a bumbo seat and did lots of tummy time to keep her off her flat spot as much as possible. She also has torticolis so prefered her head turned to her right side. We have done lots of physio to fix this and its almost 100%. With all of this there was no improvements with her head shape so we ended up at the Sydney Childrens Hospital were the Neurosurgen recommended a helmet to correct her plagio.
I never noticed her uneven face until I looked down on her head and could then see her ears were mis-aligned and that her forehead protruded more on one side. Have alook at your bubs head from above when he has wet hair as you can really see any problems then.
So many doctors have no idea about Plagiocephaly and all think that it will fix itself over time. Yes the majority of babies do however there are babies that do not so if you are really concerned push to get a referral to the hospital in your area that deals with plagio.
Its great that you have noticed it so young in your bub because with aggressive repositioning of bubs head position etc you will probably find the flatness resolves without anything else.
Good luck with your boy. Hope this has helped.

Hi

I have twins and one of them 5 month old now had a very flat head and we are going to pick up the helmet on the 19 of this month. I am really worried about how she will find the helmet to wear and the heat. How have things been for you?

I was worried sick about how my bub would cope with wearing a helmet and suprisingly she adjusted to it really well right from the start. Before we knew it she was wearing the helmet for 23 hours a day. She seems to miss it when she is not wearing it. I will point out that it has also been of a great benefit when she falls over as she never hurts her head.
With the heat I have found that I just make sure I dress her in less than I would normally and I have a fan next to her bed at night for the really hot nights. She seems to do just fine in the heat. I don't know if there body adjusts to it but it seems that they might.
At the start you have bub in the helmet for a few hours on then off and build up to wearing it during day sleeps and then the night sleeps so your bub has a fair bit of time to adjust and you end up thinking what was I worried about. From all the other parents I have spoken to at the Helmet Clinics it seems that us parents worry more about it than the babies ever do.
Good Luck with your helmet. If you have any more questions don't hesitate to ask.

I was worried sick about how my bub would cope with wearing a helmet and suprisingly she adjusted to it really well right from the start. Before we knew it she was wearing the helmet for 23 hours a day. She seems to miss it when she is not wearing it. I will point out that it has also been of a great benefit when she falls over as she never hurts her head.
With the heat I have found that I just make sure I dress her in less than I would normally and I have a fan next to her bed at night for the really hot nights. She seems to do just fine in the heat. I don't know if there body adjusts to it but it seems that they might.
At the start you have bub in the helmet for a few hours on then off and build up to wearing it during day sleeps and then the night sleeps so your bub has a fair bit of time to adjust and you end up thinking what was I worried about. From all the other parents I have spoken to at the Helmet Clinics it seems that us parents worry more about it than the babies ever do.
Good Luck with your helmet. If you have any more questions don't hesitate to ask.

Hi

Thanks for the info we pick the helmet up this morning..... Her face looks normal but if not corrected it can change. I know her ears are not inline but the doctor said once her chin grows this will correct itself.We went privatley for the helmet $500.00 it cost with no rebates I didnt want to wait for the public system. How is it when they sleep is it uncmforterable. Was your daughter born this way or was it from lying in the same spot?

We have seen really big improvements in the shape of our babies head and uneven facial features. Before we got the helmet for our girl we tryed aggressive repositioning and got her in a bumbo seat and did lots of tummy time to keep her off her flat spot as much as possible. She also has torticolis so prefered her head turned to her right side. We have done lots of physio to fix this and its almost 100%. With all of this there was no improvements with her head shape so we ended up at the Sydney Childrens Hospital were the Neurosurgen recommended a helmet to correct her plagio.
I never noticed her uneven face until I looked down on her head and could then see her ears were mis-aligned and that her forehead protruded more on one side. Have alook at your bubs head from above when he has wet hair as you can really see any problems then.
So many doctors have no idea about Plagiocephaly and all think that it will fix itself over time. Yes the majority of babies do however there are babies that do not so if you are really concerned push to get a referral to the hospital in your area that deals with plagio.
Its great that you have noticed it so young in your bub because with aggressive repositioning of bubs head position etc you will probably find the flatness resolves without anything else.

Hi
Thanks for getting back to me. We start physio next Thursday to try and help with his neck muscles. From above his ears are not mis aligned just yet but from the back it looks like half his head is missing. What is the name of your neurosurgeon, if you don't mind me asking as I will ask my dr for a referral so that we can have him looked at properly and monitored by a professional in this field as I know many dr's say it will correct itself and it doesn't. My 4 year old has a flat head too but luckily it is even at the back. I too was told it would fix itself and it hasn't. We live in Sydney and randwick is not that far away.
I am glad that everything is working out for your daughter.
Best regards
Chantal

Hi again
Just a quick question, how old was your daughter when you went to the clinic?

Hi

Thanks for the info we pick the helmet up this morning..... Her face looks normal but if not corrected it can change. I know her ears are not inline but the doctor said once her chin grows this will correct itself.We went privatley for the helmet $500.00 it cost with no rebates I didnt want to wait for the public system. How is it when they sleep is it uncmforterable. Was your daughter born this way or was it from lying in the same spot?

Hi,
My daughter has had no problems sleeping whilst wearing the helmet. We started with day sleep before night sleeps so she could adjust she never had any problems with sleeping in the helmet at all, thankfully.
My bub was born with plagiocephaly unlike the majority of bubs that develop it from lying on the one spot.
How have things been going since you picked up the helmet?
Keep an eye out for areas that rub or are leaving very red marks as it is extremely common to need to go back and get the helmet adjusted after you pick it up.

Hi
Thanks for getting back to me. We start physio next Thursday to try and help with his neck muscles. From above his ears are not mis aligned just yet but from the back it looks like half his head is missing. What is the name of your neurosurgeon, if you don't mind me asking as I will ask my dr for a referral so that we can have him looked at properly and monitored by a professional in this field as I know many dr's say it will correct itself and it doesn't. My 4 year old has a flat head too but luckily it is even at the back. I too was told it would fix itself and it hasn't. We live in Sydney and randwick is not that far away.
I am glad that everything is working out for your daughter.
Best regards
Chantal

Hi Chantal,
Thats great that you are starting physio because that is the first step to resolving the flatness in your bubs head. From what I have been told the majority of bubs heads resolve just by physio so hopefully that is all your bub will need.
My bubs neurosurgeon is Dr Erica Jacobson and she is lovely. My bub didn't get her helmet until she was 6 months old. I wish she had have been as young as your bub when she got her helmet as the younger they are the quicker the problem is resolved when wearing the helmet. We startd physio and everything else when she was very young but everyone we saw told us it would fix itself which obviously it hasn't.
Once we got the referral to the Sydney Childrens Hospital it did not take long to get in and before we knew it we had the helmet. It is all covered by medicare which is great as I have heard that overseas helmets are very, very expensive leaving alot of parents unable to afford treatment.
Good luck with your boy.

Hi Chantal,
Thats great that you are starting physio because that is the first step to resolving the flatness in your bubs head. From what I have been told the majority of bubs heads resolve just by physio so hopefully that is all your bub will need.
My bubs neurosurgeon is Dr Erica Jacobson and she is lovely. My bub didn't get her helmet until she was 6 months old. I wish she had have been as young as your bub when she got her helmet as the younger they are the quicker the problem is resolved when wearing the helmet. We startd physio and everything else when she was very young but everyone we saw told us it would fix itself which obviously it hasn't.
Once we got the referral to the Sydney Childrens Hospital it did not take long to get in and before we knew it we had the helmet. It is all covered by medicare which is great as I have heard that overseas helmets are very, very expensive leaving alot of parents unable to afford treatment.
Good luck with your boy.

Hi,

Thanks for getting back to me and for the name of your neurosurgeon. I will ask my GP on Tuesday for a referral. Am very glad all is working out for your daughter. I want to get this fixed asap before it gets any worse. I hope the physio helps him and that's all we will need. His flat head is cause he prefers lying it to the left, no matter what I do, he keeps going back, suppose it is easier that way now cause of the flatness. I'm also glad that randwick do something about it as I've heard that the clinic at Westmead are reluctant to do the helmets.
Take care
Chantal

Hi,
My daughter has had no problems sleeping whilst wearing the helmet. We started with day sleep before night sleeps so she could adjust she never had any problems with sleeping in the helmet at all, thankfully.
My bub was born with plagiocephaly unlike the majority of bubs that develop it from lying on the one spot.
How have things been going since you picked up the helmet?
Keep an eye out for areas that rub or are leaving very red marks as it is extremely common to need to go back and get the helmet adjusted after you pick it up.

Hi

We have the helmet it is hard sticking to it cause of the heat we are up to 9 hurs now she is doing ok...Poor thing I cried when i first saw her with it. Hopefully not to long she will have to wear it for.
Sign in to follow this topic