Huggies Forum

Petite Bub at 8 months Lock Rss

Thank you to all those people who responded to my message about my "petite bub". It was very reassuring to read your responses and hear of your experiences.

After the visit to MHC, I decided that I should start giving bub a "comp" formula feed in the early evening and more variety of foods.

However the next month she became really unsettled waking two to three times an evening and vomiting each time she had the formula. I decided to switch formula brands and since then she is certainly much more settled. She has stopped vomiting after the formula.

When she does wake in the night it is only for a very short BF and then she goes straight back to sleep.

We have been to see GP and she told me that it is quite common to have to try a few different types of formula before you find one that suits your bub. My first bub took the first formula brand I gave her no probs.

The GP had had a family in the past 10 years and I was immediately placed at ease. GP conducted tests on urine just to make sure that there were no infections. (My husband has a history of renal failure and received a transplant 20 years ago so that was probably at the back of my mind) All results clear.

So I have my healthy, peaceful "petite" bub back who is 9 months old and beginning to crawl. She is also sleeping peacefully.

She is also a "foodie" baby just like her big sis. She is enjoying her new formula in the evening and it is also nice for mum to "have a break" from BF so win-win.

Thank you again for your responses. It will be interesting to see what the next visit to MHC will bring.

I really believe that each child is unique and will develop at their own rate.

Tanya

Great news, I would be very interested to hear about her progress smile Be sure to update us when she gets weighed next.
My bub is petite too. She weighed 7.2 kg at her 8 month check, and I get soooo many comments on how small she is.
Both my doctor, CHN (and myself) don't think there is anything wrong at all-just that she is a small bub. She is breastfed and on 3 solids a day. She only put 1kg on in 4 months! She has been very active from 4/5 months of age (crawling at 5 months), so this is probably part of it too.
As long as they are in proportion, bone growth is ok, happy and look healthy I don't think it is a major thing. Some bubs are just small and petite!
That's great she's doing well, that's what we ever hope for! My DD#2 was only 8kg at 15 months and now at 4yrs 3 months is 14kg and 97cm so she's a petite one!! She does have kidney reflux though and she sees a ped soon for her 'check up', she does follow a curve and always has so they're not worried...you are lucky that your bubs eats, to this day my DD#2 has such a small appetite. She was also fully breastfed until 15 months(with solids of course!)

That's great she's doing well, that's what we ever hope for! My DD#2 was only 8kg at 15 months and now at 4yrs 3 months is 14kg and 97cm so she's a petite one!! She does have kidney reflux though and she sees a ped soon for her 'check up', she does follow a curve and always has so they're not worried...you are lucky that your bubs eats, to this day my DD#2 has such a small appetite. She was also fully breastfed until 15 months(with solids of course!)

Sounds like my DD1, she was 8.4kg at 14 months and is now 3 years 3 months, 12kg and around 90cm.
Hi,

DD1 was average when born, but as she got older she got taller (97th on height) and at one stage just above 10th percentile on weight. She's very tall and very slender in build. She's nearly three and is out growing the size 3 clothes that I got her a couple of mths ago. All pants have to have that adjustable waist. I say this but she doesn't look skinny or under fed. SHe's very active and eats like there is no tomorrow.... when she wants to! She'd only weigh 12kg's at the max (if that)

DD2 was 4.7kg born and a little longer than normal. At 8mths she came in at the 50th percentile for weight. MHN told me to give her formula too. She refuses to have it. I gave up with that. She eats heaps of food and she too is not skinny. Not sure why the MHN told me to feed her formula its not like she lost weight or is off the chart! The way I figure it, I'd rather have a baby who is happy and healthy than try and make them pile on the weight! Plus there is research out there that suggests that all our fat cells are decided by the time we turn 3. I'd rather keep her healthy than try and fatten her up, as it could come back to haunt her later in life. (just reread that and it sounds terrible! DD's are never hungry and I try really hard not to feed them crap). I figure that my 2 DD's take after DH... he never seems to gain any weight and eats whatever he likes! (unlike me!)

MHNs really piss me off. They put heaps of pressure on us mums and it really isn't necessary. Don't stress about it and use your instincts. You know your child better than they do!

As someone else said... if they are developing and are healthy and happy thats great.... It'd be boring if we were all the same!
Thought i'd update and say DD2 is now 8 months and 6.23kg and needs to grow a good 5cm just to hit the 3rd percentile. Hope your bubbas are all doing well.
Hi, my DS2 is 8 months and weighs 6.9kg. He's always been around 10th percentile, but is now below the chart. I've been instructed to put calorie rich items in his food to bulk him up (such as adding butter or cheese, I also add full fat greek yoghurt), but not to worry too much. The paed wants to see him in 3 months to make sure he's putting on weight. He doesn't look scrawny and is healthy and happy so at this stage I'm not worrying TOO much!!

DS1 was born 5pd 12.5 (2.24kg), so he was born small, he was still in size 00 at 12 months and he was formula feed from birth.

He's now 13yrs and wearing size 12 pants and size 14-16 shirts, but he's extremely athletic and trains 2-4 times a week in different sports.

I was constantly told how small he was, but he was exceeding all other babies developmentally. He was walking at 9 months, talking full sentences at 12 months and was able to hit a tennis ball with a piece of broom stick handle at 2 yrs with nearly every attempt.

DS was very similar to this, though I can't yet tell you what he's like at 13! He was born 2.9kgs, at 8months was a small 7.4kgs & at 2 he's 10.1kgs. He was formula fed from 3.5months & on cow's milk at 11 months. He's dropped off the charts for weight & can still fit in size 1 clothes. His cousin who is 9 months younger than him wears the same clothes! BUT, DS also is much more advanced developmentally.

I'm over people telling me how small he is. He's healthy, his eyes are bright, he's learning more every day & rarely gets sick. I think those are the things we need to concentrate on......some kids are just smaller. Don't stress........or try not to!! wink

Anyone have any updates on their petite bubs? I'm off to get DD2 weighed tomorrow and i'm hoping she'll be nearing 7kg smile

UPDATE: Well she's not quite the 7kg I was hoping for. She is 6.6kg and 63cm, weight is not too bad but she's about 6cm below the line for length.

Would it make you feel better if I told you my almost two year old only weighs 10kgs? She still fits into size 0 clothes. She has been on the 3rd percentile line or below since birth. She is as healthy as they come.

My girl has always been tall and big, although she hasnt put on that much weight for the last couple months. But why i am writing is to tell you this...My sis and i were going through our red books (qld has red books) and at 4 years old, my niece weighed 11kg. I think my daughter was around 11mths old and weighed the same. My niece was always tiny until this last year when she has shot up and is going to be tall like her mother, so it took until my niece was round 6yrs old to really get a growth spurt happening.

Hi, I know this was posted a while ago but I am very interested how you went with it all?My daughter is 8 months old, she weighs 5.5kg and is 63 cm. The doctors are telling me they think she is just a ‘small baby’ and everything is fine. However she was born full term and I can’t help but think something is wrong. Did you baby start to gain weight ?
Sign in to follow this topic