Huggies Forum

Huggies® Ultimate
Nappies

Learn More

Won't eat finger food Rss

Hi just wondering if any other mums had noticed this in their babies....my son has never put anything in his mouth (other than his fingers at teething time.) I see this is a great thing as I don't have to worry about him eating small things off the floor. But on the other hand its frustrating as he won't eat finger food. I've tried several types of finger food such as rusks, toast, biscuits..etc and he takes it from me but doesnt know what to do with it, just plays with it. I have to break it up and put the food in his mouth instead. I would like him to start using one of those non spill toddler cups to get him off the bottle, but I guess I'll just have to wait until hes ready. Hes 8 1/2 months old. Does anyone else have this problem?
Sorry about where I posted this message, but I wasn't sure if came under heading development or feeding?
Try eating with him. When I first introduced toast, I would eat some too. I would exagerate(spelling?) my biting and chewing and bubs would watch intently at what I was doing. At dinner time she sits at the table with us and even though she already has eaten, we give her little bits off our plate. I always set aside some soft vegies or well cooked pasta (whatever we are having) and while we are eating dinner, I place a small piece of food in her hand. The first time, she didn't know what to do either, but she quickly learnt, just by watching the whole family eat.
Now she expects food to be given to her when we have dinner and gets very upset if we don't give her any. I recently put some mashed potatoe on her spoon and she fed herself - it was just a treat to watch.
Don't worry every baby develops at their own pace and you might find that in a month he will also be eating finger foods on his own.
Hope this has helped smile

Vic, 2 girls - 9 yo & 17mth old

Sign in to follow this topic