Huggies Forum

Huggies® Ultimate
Nappies

Learn More

Bottle and Breast Rss

Hi
I need some advice on how to get my 5 month old baby to take a bottle, I am going back to work part time in just over 2 weeks and he will not take a bottle. I want to continue to breast feed him as well but I am starting to think that this will be impossible. Has anyone been able to breast and bottle feed a baby of this age.

Thanks
Claudbut
Hi Claudbut,
I had your exact problem, except I had to give up for medical reasons. If you want to keep breast feeding try expressing the milk for you son's bottle. My little boy was 13 months when I weaned him. I tried for 2 weeks and it just ended with both him and I in tears and a little boy who would refuse to drink for up to 8 hours. Any way hubby was able to take a week of work and he took over all feeds and by the end of the week we had our little boy weaned. So I guess what I am saying is if you have someone else who can give your son his bottle then give that a go. You need to be out of the room and as hard as it is you need to tough if Bubby won't take then bottle then he doesn't get the boob try water ect but try your hardest not to give in. All the best. If you haven't already give the Breast Feeding association a call as well, they should be able to help.
Keep smiling and Happy Parenting Jodi

1 wonderful boy 6 and another on the way

Hello I went through the exact same scenario asyou. I had to experiment with several different bottles and different shaped teats. The only one he took was Avent. he found it easier than the other teats to use because of the shpae and width. At first I had to skwirt it in to his mouth but then he took it. I used breast milk. Another trick i was told about is to start them on the breast and replace it with the bottle it seemed to work also. Good Luck.

QLD, 6mths boy

Hi

I sucessfully breast and bottle feed both my babies (emma is now 2 years and nathaniel is 6 months - he is still breast and bottle feed) - I found that they would only take the bottle if i was not there and then only if it was expressed milk - i express milk though out the week and then store it in the frezer for dad to give to him on weekend while i am at work - i also found that they would only drink from advent bottles.

It took at little time but once they learnt that that was all that was avaliable and that it still smelt and tasted like mummy then they would still drink it

Hope this helps

Kelly

Kelly, ACT, 2year old and 6 month old

I bottle feed and breast feed my daughter too! I am so glad there is someone else out there who does that because when I tell people I get very strange looks.

The only thing is that Hannah has formula and not expressed breastmilk. She won't drink expressed breastmilk at all. She seems to know that it should be coming from me and not the bottle and so she won't touch it. (I don't mind at all, I hated expressing).

The only advice I have on the whole matter (which, I realise is about 5 months too late) is that babies will take a bottle when they get hungry enough. The only other thing is that if they are over 6 months you could try just going straight to the cup.

Hannah (3 yrs) and Harry's (born 22/7) Mum! QLD

Hi, I started my son on a bottle at about 3 weeks. I was feeding him from 5 - 8 o'clock straight most nights, and I just couldn't handle it. So I started him on the avent bottles and formula... and he loves it. He is still breastfeed, but the bottle gives me the freedom and I hate trying to express milk. Several people advised me not to give him a bottle so early due to nipple confusion but we haven't had any problems. He is now 4 months old and still feeding well... We found it was best to wait until he was really hungry to first try him with the bottle. Also if that doesn't work try breast feeding him and then when he is not expecting it give him the bottle, it may work. Hope this helps a bit

Em Tmba - mum to Liam 31/7/03 & Callum 7/5/05

unfortunately my message is probably too late for you claudbut. Essentially babies can learn to feed on a bottle BEFORE about 2 to 3 months of age. Thus completely breast fed babies struggle to bottle feed at 5 to 6 months when we all want to go back to work. So for mothers contemplating brestfeeding, it is a good idea to introduce the bottle (with expressed breast milk if possible) before 2 months and consistenly do so perhaps once every day to 2 days to let your baby learn how to suck from a bottle. The idea of nipple confusion is unproven, at a young age babies has a larger capacity to learn than we give them credit for.

So without the above hindsight, as one of the responder suggested, you can move straight to cup feeds or a less messier alternative a spout on a bottle would often be acceptable. and yes they will take a bottle from a rubber nipple if starved long enough, but it is heartbreaking to hear that cry.
Sign in to follow this topic