Learn More
  1. home
  2. Baby Forum
  3. Baby
  4. Baby's Growth & Development
  5. what age do u put bud from bassinet to cot

what age do u put bud from bassinet to cot Rss

hi
Hannah is 3mths and still in the bassinet next to my bed.
at what age do u think is good for them to go into their own room and into a cot.

and how did u go about it.
is it better gradual or just do it ???? smile

thanx

DD 13/11/03 -DD 11.11.05 - DS 17.4.08

hi chelby
my name is mel we put william in his own room at 6weeks cause he started to snoring and kept us up.
i went on his size,he started getting bigger for the bassinet .
i can't remember when we changed him over but he loves it,william is 13months now

i hope that helps you,you could always try her in the cot and see what happens,you can always go back to the bassinet if it doesn't work out.

mel and william
There is no set age. I just went by Mya's size, she was starting to get to long for the bassinet. I think she was about 5-6months. But do it before they can sit and pull themselves up. If you baby doesn't like being in the cot try putting the bassinet (without the legs) in the cot untill he gets used to the new surroundings. Otherwise just do what you feel is best for you and your baby.

Kerrie

Kerrie,NZ,

Hi,
Our daughter always had her own room from the day we brought her home. I didn't want to have to go through what friends had, with bubs not sleeping in their own room and wanting to be with them ALL the time. She slept in a bassinet until she was nearly 5 months old and took to the cot so easily. We must've had a big bassinet as everyone kept commenting that she must be too big for it by now, but she still had room to stretch her arms to the side and not touch them. We only put her in the cot when we did, so we could make room for her ever growing stash of toys and things.
Its really just what you feel, as everything is with being parents. Some bubs who are nearly 1 still sleep in their parents room, in a cot, and everyones happy.
Have fun.

Lisa, SA, baby girl (4.5.03)

Hi Chelby

I posted a reply to a similar topic a few days ago - but I can't remember where it is!

It's totally up to you. My son slept in his bassinet next to me until about 4 months old. After that I started putting his bassinet in his own room during his day sleeps but still in our room at night. The first few nights I didn't sleep very well and kept going in and checking on him - of course he was fine! After a couple of weeks he was permanently in his own room in his bassinet and then I started putting him in his cot at about 5 months. He took a few days to get used to his cot but it wasn't too much of a drama - then he started getting out of his wrap and I had to wean him off that!!! Just do what you feel comfortable with - everybody has there own opinions - eg everbody told us not to buy a bassinet in the first place but it was one of the best things I bought, as our room isn't big enough to fit the cot and I wanted him in our room for the first couple of months at least. I have found changing things gradually works best for us. I hope this has helped you.

All the best!
Jasmine
my daughter went into a cot at about 5mths but it is intirely up to you when u decide to put her into a cot.
Hi Jasmine

the bassinet that hannah is sleeping in is as old as me.31. then my 2 sisters and brother slept in it then it got passed on to all my 13 cousins as each one came along . my youngest cousin is 8. then my sister has had 2 kids and now its come back to me.
so i'd have to say its the best thing my mums mum ever bought for her aswell smile

thank you everyone for taking the time to reply to me

i think u should put her in the cot as soon as possible because we kept our daughter in her bassinet until she was 4months and just now are trying to get her to sleep in her cot...it's very hard because she is so used to sleeping in her bassinet. also we used to rock her to sleep in the bassinet but we cant rock the cot.

Cheryl,SA,Danika born 24.10.03 Matthew born 5.3.05

Its entirely dependant on when you are ready to put your baby in the cot.
I have had my son in bed with me since birth as it made it easier for the nightly breastfeeds.
Just last week I put him in the cot in his own room and that very night he slept through the night.
I am totally relieved, he seems to love being in his own room and I am loving having more sleep!
Thank u everyone for your replies.
i've been putting Hannah in the cot in the early pm when she has about 1 - 3 hrs of sleep but i still keep her in my room thru the night.. i'm probably being a little lazy if she wakes up i dont have to get out of bed to check her.
and i think too , if i put her in her own room at night i might not hear her if she wakes up, i'm a heavy sleeper sometimes.

Hi Chelby

I put my bubs into her cot at about 3 months as she was starting to hit the sides which woke her up during the night.
All I did was just put her to sleep in her cot for her naps during the day for about a week so that she could get used to the surroundings. After that week I just put her in her cot at bed time and she was fine.

Good Luck!

4 lovely munchkins DD 10/03, DD 03/05, DS 10/06 &

Also, if you are worried about not hearing her, a baby monitor helps, I picked one up for $30.00 on ebay!

4 lovely munchkins DD 10/03, DD 03/05, DS 10/06 &

Sign in to follow this topic