Huggies Forum

Tea tree oil:water ratio as a lice preventative.... Rss

Hi there, lice have already gone around DD1's kinder and I am getting very paranoid!!

I have been told tea tree oil and water sprayed on each morning,can anyone help with how much I need to mix it OR any other methods I can use?

Thanks

Hi there, lice have already gone around DD1's kinder and I am getting very paranoid!!

I have been told tea tree oil and water sprayed on each morning,can anyone help with how much I need to mix it OR any other methods I can use?

Thanks

I've been wanting to ask the exact same question... have bought the tea tree oil but no amount of googling tells me how to make it (without using several other oils too).
When it went around DDs playgroup. I just put a few drops in her shampoo. It stinks but once hair is dry you cant smell it anyway.

Never heard of spraying it on before
I have only ever heard of putting it in there hats and its not diluted. We have always put mouse/hair spray in my kids whenever there is an outbreak at the daycare.

Thanks

Jess, I use tea tree oil and water spray on Abi's hair every single day. Last year she got nits 3 times from the same child and it drove me bonkers!!! I just use an old empty detangler spray bottle and I don't really have a set measurement,lol, I just add a splash of tea tree oil (I would guess somewhere around 1 teaspoon full) and then fill the rest with water. I am careful not to go overboard so it doesn't irritate her scalp etc. Since using it we have had no nits!

I just give it a shake in the morning, spray on DD's hair and then style as normal. I give the inside of DD's hat a spray too.

I use about 20mls or so in a 500ml spray bottle I use it to spray hair, hats, brushes everything that comes into contact with thier heads lol

Cheers Ness

I just googled for a recipe and found this...

To prevent lice using an herbal, natural method, try using a tea tree oil spray. In a plastic spray bottle, mix 8 oz (236ml) of water with approximately 12 drops of tea tree oil. You can find the oil in any health food store. For a pleasant smell, add a few drops of rosemary or lavender essential oils. You can also find these in a health food store. Misting this mixture into your hair while combing through will help keep lice away.

Research shows tea tree oil attacks mature lice and dislodges them from the scalp, resulting in a high mortality rate after the first application (see Reference 2).

Read more: Herb Oil Natural Spray on to Prevent Lice | eHow.com http://www.ehow.com/way_5607561_herb-natural-spray-prevent-lice.html#ixzz1EZXLPCaO

Lovely thanks guys!!!
I was worried about adding too much and irritating her scalp.... I have a sprayer I use for their fair but its a stainless steel one, not one of the 500ml plastic ones..... might add a dash of conditioner for now for odour purposes as I have no lavender oil at the moment...

Thanks so much.... wonder if I could stick a bit of dry rosemary in it???
I use a plastic spray bottle, fill it with water and just add however much tea tree oil and lavender I do - no specific measurement. It would have to be a heap to irritate the scalp with such a large amount of water.

kerrie, VIC, DD 12/8/03, DD 12/10/05, DD 14/9/07, DD 4/1/10

Thanks

Thanks

My Local Chemist gave me the following spray recipe. half a litre of water in spray bottle, 50 mls of tee tree oil and 10mls of lavender oil. I also add 10mls of peppermint oil for good measure. Also gives hair a nice peppermint smell
Sign in to follow this topic