Shortbread Stars with Lemon Glaze
Keywords: parenting, baking with kids
Allow plenty of time to make these with your toddlers. They have so much fun squishing the dough and cutting out the shapes. Bundle a few together and you have the perfect gift for playgroup leaders and kindy teachers.
- 2 cups plain flour
- 2 tablespoons rice flour
- 200g unsalted butter
- 1/3 cup icing sugar
- 1 teaspoon finely grated lemon rind
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- Packet of silver cachous
- 1 cup pure icing sugar
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice, strained
- Yellow or orange food colouring
- Preheat oven to 180°C and line two biscuit trays with baking paper.
- Place the flours, butter and sugar into a food processor bowl and, using the pulse action, press the button for 30 seconds or until the mixture is fine and crumbly. Add the rind and juice and process for 20 seconds, or until the mixture forms a dough. Turn out onto a lightly floured surface and knead for 20 seconds or until smooth. Roll out to a 7mm thickness and cut out 6cm star shapes. Bake for 15 minutes, then transfer to a wire rack to cool.
- To make the lemon glaze, place the icing sugar and lemon juice in a heatproof bowl over a pan of hot water. Stir until smooth. Dip the biscuits face down in the glaze and drain the excess. Dip a toothpick or skewer into the food colouring and draw lines into the icing on the biscuit before it set. Decorate the centres with a silver cachou.
- The shortbreads should keep for up to 5 days in an airtight container.
Some other similar recipes
Loading tip submission...
Loading tips list...