Hot Cross Buns
Keywords: easter, parenting
Hot Cross Buns at Easter is a wonderful childhood memory, have fun making them with the little ones! Try adding choc-chips for something special.
- 30 grams yeast
- 1 1/2 cups milk
- 60 grams butter
- 1 egg, neaten
- 5 cups plain flour
- 1 tablespoon salt
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1 teaspoon mixed spice
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 60 grams sultanas
- 60 grams currants
- 30 grams mixed peel
- Mix all dry ingredients with half the flour in a large bowl.
- Heat butter, milk and beaten egg until lukewarm.
- Add liquids to dry mixture and beat 2 minutes.
- Stir in remainder of flour until soft.
- Knead on slightly floured board.
- Cover dough in bowl with cloth and let rise for 30-40 minutes.
- Punch dough down and divide into 24 buns and place on greased tray and allow to rise again.
- Bake in moderate oven for 20 minutes.
- Put on wire rack to cool.
- Mix a little milk with 1/2 cup icing sugar, then brush on buns to make crosses.
Some other similar recipes
Loading tip submission...
Loading tips list...