Braised Lamb Shanks with Mushroom Risotto
We are proud to be featuring a series of recipes from The Australian Women’s Weekly Cookbook, Pressure Cooker on the Huggies website. This Braised Lamb Shanks with Mushroom Risotto combines two of our favourite winter comfort foods, in a simple and delicious recipe for 6 people. Prep + cook time 50 minutes.
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 6 french-trimmed lamb shanks (1.5kg)
- 3 stalks celery (450g), untrimmed, halved
- 1 medium leek (350g), trimmed, halved
- 3 stalks fresh rosemary
- 3 cloves garlic, bruised
- 1 litre (4 cups) water
- ²⁄³ cup (20g) mixed dried mushrooms
- 1 large brown onion (200g), chopped finely
- 1½ cups (300g) arborio rice
- ½ cup (125ml) dry white wine
- ½ cup (40g) finely grated parmesan cheese
- 30g (1 ounce) butter, chopped finely
Nutritional count per serving 25.1g total fat
(10.6g saturated fat); 2353kJ (563 cal);
43.8g carbohydrate; 35.5g protein; 3.1g fibre
1. Heat half the oil in 6-litre (24-cup) pressure cooker; cook lamb, in batches, until browned. Remove from cooker.
2. Return lamb to cooker with celery, leek, rosemary, garlic and the water; secure lid. Bring cooker to high pressure. Reduce heat to stabilise pressure; cook 30 minutes.
3. Release pressure using the quick release method; remove lid. Strain over large heatproof bowl; cover shanks to keep warm. Discard vegetables. Reserve 3½ cups (875ml) cooking liquid; add dried mushrooms.
4. Heat remaining oil in cooker; cook onion, stirring, until soft. Add rice; stir to coat in onion mixture. Stir in wine and cooking liquid with mushrooms; secure lid. Bring cooker to high pressure. Reduce heat to stabilise pressure; cook 7 minutes.
5. Release pressure using the quick release method; remove lid. Stand, covered, 5 minutes or until liquid is absorbed. Stir in cheese and butter; season to taste. Sprinkle risotto with a little extra rosemary and grated parmesan; serve with shanks.
If you have an electric pressure cooker you won’t need to reduce the heat to stabilise pressure, your cooker will automatically stabilise itself. Always check with the manufacturer’s instructions before using. Covering the shanks with the cooked celery and leek is an easy way to keep the lamb hot and moist while you cook the risotto. Recipe not suitable to freeze.
The Australian Women’s Weekly Cookbook, Pressure Cooker is available now from the Huggies Bookclub.
Recipe images from The Australian Women’s Weekly Cookbook, Pressure Cooker. Photographer: Ian Wallace Stylist: Louise Pickford
Some other similar recipes
Loading tip submission...
Loading tips list...