Age: toddler, child, parent
Skill for Bub: Hand/eye coordination, Just for fun, Parties and Celebrations
Little bakers will go buggy over these sweet treats!
Making these cute critter cookies is the perfect recipe for in-the-kitchen fun for your family.
- 1 cup shortening
- 1 cup white sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon baking flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 3 drops red food colouring
- Fruit leather, cut into three 2-inch strips
- Raisins or chocolates for decoration
- Preheat oven to 190 degrees C.
- Butter and flour cookie sheets.
- In a small bowl, combine flour, baking soda, and salt; set aside.
- In a large bowl, mix the shortening together with the sugar and vanilla.
- Add eggs and beat until creamy.
- Slowly stir in the flour mixture.
- Add a few drops of red or orange food dye and blend.
- Spoon the dough onto the baking sheet.
- Flatten the mounds slightly with the back of a spoon.
- Create an indentation down the center of each cookie.
- Press a few raisins or chocolate chips on both sides.
- Bake for 10 minutes.
- Transfer the cookies from the baking sheet to a serving tray.
- Before they begin cooling, gently press a strip of fruit leather down the middle of each cookie and two at the top to be used as antennae.