Bumpy, Rough, and Smooth ABCs
Age: toddler, parent
Skill for Bub: Hand/eye coordination, Mind builder
Letters leap off the pages of this touch-and-feel book.
Children love the feeling of different surfaces and materials. Filled with many textures, this alphabet book is as much fun to touch as it is to read. Here’s what you’ll need to create a special book that your child will cherish for years to come.
- 13-5×7 squares of thick cardboard or poster board
- An assortment of papers and fabric (silk, sandpaper, wrapping paper, aluminum, terrycloth, felt, velvet, corrugated cardboard)
- Three binder rings
- Letter stencils
- Non-toxic craft glue (for paper)
- Fabric glue (for fabric)
- Using the stencils, trace the letters of the alphabet on the materials.
- Use a fabric scissors to cut them out.
- Apply an even coat of glue to the letters.
- Place a letter in the center of each piece of cardboard.
- Use the binder rings to assemble the cards together.
- Title the book “Name of your child’s” ABC book.
- Decorate the cover of the book with a photograph of your child.
- You may wish to inscribe the inside of the first page with a note to your child sharing your wish for a lifetime of learning.
Bonus ABC idea:
Create a whimsical wall hanging for your child’s room by gluing the letters to a piece of poster board (four rows of five and one row of six) and framing it, leaving the letters touch-able. Hang at your child’s height so he can revisit it whenever he wants.