Huggies Forum

1. home
  2. Baby Forum
  3. Communities
  4. Melbourne
  5. Time period between children

Time period between children Rss

Hi everyone,
I'm very new to this site and this is my first message. I'm 37 years old, married to the man of our first child - very happily, we have been together for nearly 20 years - teenage boyfriend & girlfriend... we are discussing having another child -my sticking point is the age difference there will be between the children. Our first child was born when we were 17/18 and she would nearly be 19 yrs old by the time I got pregnant etc etc. Is this such a big problem ?? the cost is not the issue.
Hi "butterflies". I wouldn't worry about the age gap between your children. If you and your hubby feel up to having a baby around the house then have another child. You may probably find at first your 19 year old may 'freak' out but once they have time to think about it and see they're baby brother or sister for the first time they will absolutely love it. As long as you and hubby don't mind the age gap and want to start changing nappies all over again then GO FOR IT!!! I think its a fantastic idea. You are both sitll young willing and able aren't you??!!

Anyway I better go.I have babbled enough and probably bored you

Take Care & GOOD LUCK

Karen, Vic, Nicholas 26/10/02

Hi Butterflies,

You know your child better than us but being an only child myself (26 though) I would totally freak if my parents had another child, mostly for selfish reasons. I have my own life now and if my parents want another baby then I or anybody else shouldn't stop them.

but then again I know I'm safe cos my dad had the snip smile

Would you feel comfortable discussing it openly with your child? Realistically by this age in their life they will be moving on a bit and would hopefully love to have a baby brother or sister to mollycoddle.

A friend of mines mum had a bub when she was 19 and it totally put her off having babies - but now that he's 5 she's coming round to them again.

I'm going to forward your post on to her and see if she has any advise.

I bet you are sorry you asked now smile

Love steph

Steph VIC Mummy to one gorgeous boy

Butterflies,

here is a response from my friend:-
Here goes!...

I am 23 years old, my Mum fell pregnant with me at 16, had me at 17. She (after having 2 more kiddies) fell pregnant with her 4th at 37 years of age. At that time, i was 18, my bro was 17 and my sister was 12. We thought it was FANTASTIC that she was pregnant, and couldnt wait for her to have Daniel.
Daniel is now 5, is extreemly smart, and speaks extreemly well for someone of his age. He is a great little kid, and i love him to death! I am so very glad Mum fell pregnant, and im glad i have a little brother. Its great that we get to teach him stuff, and help him out with his Kinder things.
My advise is: By all means, have another child, believe me, you and your older child wont regret it.

Thank you Stephanie for all your kind & reassuring words it does actually make a difference to our decision, I brought up the subject with our daughter last night (told her we are thinking about it) and what she would think........she loved the idea and has already suggested baby names (not even pregnant yet) stated she has always, always wanted a sibling BUT that it has to be a baby girl !!!

My husband and now daughter are over the moon with anticipation. I'm still abit apprehensive about the whole idea (hey it's been nearly 19 yrs). It's alot to give up... thanks again...
Thanks Kazz for your kind words.

I've spoken to our daughter last night about the possibility of having another baby, she loved the idea BUT wants a baby sister. She also offered to come to antenatal classes with me and be there in the labour room when it all happens, so I suppose it's just a matter of becoming pregnant and getting my mind around the idea - (it's been a loooooong time)... thanks again
I am so happy for you 'butterflies' that your daughter is sooo excited about becoming a big sister. I wish you all the best with becoming pregnant very soon. Please keep me informed. If you like you can email me at
karen2607@hotmail.com.

I'll keep my fingers crossed for all of you.
Again GOOD LUCK
Take care

Karen, Vic, Nicholas 26/10/02

butterflies I'm excited for you already smile

if you want you can email me stephaniedavy@optusnet.com.au

but make sure you keep posting cos all the huggies mums love to here everyones stories smile I know I certainly do!!!

5 days to go everyone - bubs still hasn't engaged and I'm totally over it smile I'm not really a very patient person so this is killing me but i'm trying to just mellow out a bit.

will keep you all posted

Love Steph

Sign in to follow this topic