Huggies Forum

1. home
  2. Baby Forum
  3. Communities
  4. Sydney
  5. Baby swim school in South Sydney - any suggestions

Baby swim school in South Sydney - any suggestions Rss

I would like to start swim school with my little boy, who is five months at the moment, and know that the good ones are hard to get into so would like to get him on a waitlist soon.

Does anyone have any referrals to swim schools in the Sutherland Shire, I would prefer to go somewhere that is recommeded. Many thanks.

Sonia, NSW, 4mth baby

Hi Lachie's Mum,
I'm sure there'd be a waiting list for you to join at the Sutherland Aquatic Leisure Centre although I don't know anyone who's been there. I've been doing lessons with my 2yr old at the Hurstville Aquatic Leisure Centre for 18mths now & it's great. It costs us $8 a lesson & there are 3 terms each year. You probably won't be able to do much before next year now as a lot of the sessions have started.
Be sure to check the water temperature is appropriate for little people & always keep an eye out for ear infections once you start as a small number of children do develop problems. I'm sure you'll have a great time though.
Best of luck,
Peta

Peta, NSW, mum of 2 gorgeous girls

Thank Peta, will go and visit and see what I think. Appreciate your response.

Sonia, NSW, 4mth baby

Hya lachiesmum

I have my son enrolled in swim school at the Sydney Aquatic Centre at Homebush. They have four terms there and currently his classes cost $8.60. This allows both parents entry as one swims with the baby while the other watches. You also get four hours free parking.

The teachers at the Aquatic Centre are great and there are only seven children in the group.

Hope this is helpful
Hi all,

I have an 8 month old girl (one more on the way in 8 months) and have been looking for a school to take her to. Any suggestions in Sydney City around Pyrmont?.

Also, I am curious to know how many parents have had a problem with their kids getting ear infections due to water. I was noticeing Monique scratching her ear a couple of times but she hasn't been anywhere near a pool yet. We do pour water on her ears when she is in the bath. Would baby soap water have an affect on her?

Thanks

DavidCC

David, Sydney, 8 mth baby

Hi David

Lachlan has had 2 ear infections so far, and we haven't even started swimming lessons yet, when I asked the doctor/clinic nurse, they both told me that it could be due to teething and the nasal passages getting blocked. It was suggested that we use Fess, which is a child friendly nasal spray (not steriod based) which helps keep the passages clear, and so far so good. Hope that this helps.

Sonia, NSW, 4mth baby

Hi Sonia,

Thank you for this advice. I will enquire on our next baby checkup.

Good luck to all of us. I can't wait to see my daughter go swimming

David

Hi David & Sonia,
I think that the best thing to understand about ear infections is that some children are just prone to them and others aren't. I have a 27mth old who has chronic ear infections & they didn't start until she was a year old. Since then we've tried everything to help keep them at bay but nothing seems to work. We're now booked in to have grommits put in both her ears & we found out last weekend that she also needs her adnoids removed as there's only 3mm space available for her to breathe through her nose. Apparently adnoids & bad ears can be an inherited trait. My mother & sister both have had their adnoids removed & my sister also had grommits. We did swimming lessons with her from 6-24mths & even though the Dr has recommended we stop them, her ear infections haven't lessened in severity or time. It's more important that you keep an eye on your child's general health & act if necessary. There are also other forums you can read to see what sort of things to keep a look out for.
Best of luck. Enjoy the wonderful time you'll have with your littlies in the pool.
Peta

Peta, NSW, mum of 2 gorgeous girls

Thanks Peta

I will keep a watchful eye out.

David

I just wanted to share that I live at Hurstville and my child has been attending swimming lessons at the Hurstville Aquatic Leisure Centre and it is such a great program- he is progressing well, I know that you live in Sutherland but its worth the trek and I'm pretty sure the same company runs the swim school out in west pymble if that helps anyone.

in regards to the ear infections, my child has two to three ear infections a year, he is just prone to them. Try ear putty. i am hoping he grows out of it.
Hi im in Helensburgh and there is a couple here or at engadine and heathcote dont know how far you want to go from sutherland
Sign in to follow this topic