Huggies Forum

1. home
  2. Baby Forum
  3. General Baby Topics
  4. General Discussion
  5. u wont work christmas day? your fired!

u wont work christmas day? your fired! Rss

has any one got the sack for not wanting to work on your daughters(or son) first christmas day, or as they put it i was inflexible to work, when i started at the position doing 30 hour weeks when i was only supposed to do 16 hour weeks
please get how you feel off your chest
unfair dismissal you say? thing is i couldnt do a thing about it!!!!!! please share your stories
dsnt have to be christmas day you wouldnt work

DD may 03, DS oct 06

Yeah I had a similar situation.--- I was a department manager in a well known supermarket and had just gotten married, the store manager knew I wanted to start a family straight away but asked me what my intentions were. As I should step down from my position so other people could move up the ladder as I would not be getting any more promotions if I chose to have a family. >:-<

Aileen, nsw, Macenzie17 months plus 1 edd 4/11/04

i think that what you both experienced is a form of discrimination and you should try to take it further.
The store manager had no right to ask your intentions re. family.
Also working xmas day? sounds like a call centre of some sort. I work in one and they always work on a volunteer basis. If the company gets enough vounteers then even if you are rostered for that day you don't have to work it and you still get paid. smile

Sorry I can't be of help, but you just don't need that sort of attitude when most companies say they want us to balance work, family & leisure - but when push comes to shove most of them don't come to the party when asked for time off they usually quote - it does not meet our business needs to get out of it!!!

>:-<

Funny how politicians say they encourage this balance of work and family too, but industries are doing what they want anyway even though in some places there are more women than men in the office. Don't they realise that by being inflexible they will lose all that valuable experience and training time they put into smat and intelligent women, just because we have babies it doesn't mean we loose our ability to do a good job. I'm standing on my soapbox now lol.

Vic, 2 girls - 9 yo & 17mth old

I meant smart intelligent women - he he he.

Vic, 2 girls - 9 yo & 17mth old

why cant you do anything about it?

Narelle, Eilish 5th june 2002 TTC since dec 2002

I work in Human Resources - take the matter further!! It may not be simple, but check your letter of offer, or any agreement you had with them.

Victoria ~ 3yr old beautiful twin boys

Hi,
I cant believe that bosses actually do that!
I am lucky, i am on one year of maternity leave (6 months of it being paid) and my boss has been really supportive of me throughout the pregnacy and after the birth.
Is your work a large or small company? I work for a bank so that might be why?
I think you should definatley do something about it!

Mummy to Talana Michelle Kimberley (13/12/2003)

thankyou so much for your replies
the reason i cant do anything about it is becuse i was on a 3 month trial no it wasnt a call centre it was a 24 hour service station!!!!!!!
it sucks but i signed the papers
the manager dosnt work there anymore and im just wondering if the company actually knows of the situation
funny thing is i was the only person working there with a partner and child

DD may 03, DS oct 06

i tried to comprimise but my girl comes first

DD may 03, DS oct 06

Its probably not somewhere you want to work anyway. You could however let the company know what happened - just for their information if that ghastly manager is no longer there.

Good luck, and you are right - your girl should come first.

Victoria ~ 3yr old beautiful twin boys

hey all

funny thing happened on the weekend
my netball team played a team that one of the girls who got me sacked plays in

cuttin a long story short now it seems as though she has had me kicked out of my netball team cos she headbutted me and tried to make out that it was all my fault and no one believes me except my sis' boyfriend who plays footy and told me that his coach would be proud of me as i held my defence and didnt move an inch when she hit me

bit of useless info i suppose but i had to get it off my chest as i hate that company so much they have ruined me in all kinds of ways and i am only just starting to recover (more finacially then anything)

cheers

DD may 03, DS oct 06

hi
just remember the old saying.
what goes around comes around
so that girl will get whats coming to her . dont you worry about that.
dont let the hate eat you up inside , just do what irritates her and be extremely nice to what ever she throws at you and it will p*ss her off even more smile .

DD 13/11/03 -DD 11.11.05 - DS 17.4.08

Sign in to follow this topic