Huggies Forum

1. home
  2. Baby Forum
  3. General Baby Topics
  4. General Discussion
  5. Anyones kids do an alternative to 4 y.o Kinder?

Anyones kids do an alternative to 4 y.o Kinder? Rss

I always thought that 4 year old kindy was compulsory, but apparently it is not. DD has been in 3 year old kindy this year so i thought her place would be secure for next year too. I have really left enrolling her late and might miss out on a place for next year -(nomination for worst mother of the year!!) I feel terrible but rather than wallow, i am wondering if any mummies put your littlies in a different type of educational program?

I dont even know what 4 year old kindy is - let alone 3yr old kindy

Please excuse my ignorance, but there was nothing like that around when DS was that age.

Could you explain it to me? PUHLEASE? We have moved interstate & all this new lingo for schooling is just out of control. I dont know what my kids are actually doing... LOL May be something that i am actaully supposed to be thinking about for DD next year...

I dont even know what 4 year old kindy is - let alone 3yr old kindy

Please excuse my ignorance, but there was nothing like that around when DS was that age.

Could you explain it to me? PUHLEASE? We have moved interstate & all this new lingo for schooling is just out of control. I dont know what my kids are actually doing... LOL May be something that i am actaully supposed to be thinking about for DD next year...

3 year old kindy or kindergarten is referred to by our council as an activity program, it ran 2&1/2 hours 1 day a week. For me i decided to put DD into 3 y.o kindy to help get her ready for four year old, (as i thought it was compulsory) and she does not go to day care or anything. Four year old kindy, (or my understanding of it), is a program to prepare the littlies for their entrance into school. They teach them about listening, following instructions, being used to a day broken up into routines. I think that is the basics of it.

My four year old goes to preschool which is 2 days a week 9am to 3pm, its not compulsory so am guessing this is what you are talking about. Where I am the first year of primary school is kindergarten and that is compulsory. For kindergarten they need to be turning 5 by end of April.

I would still put your childs name on the waiting list and speak to the school about it, kids do leave and its possible a place will become available.

Otherwise only thing I could think of would be childcare or YMCA runs various kids programs.
right - thanks - i think i get the gist of it. It's like school before they actually go to school?

I wont be sending DD in that case then. We are quite happy with her daycare centre, who has a learning programe in the 3-5 year olds rooms anyway - so i guess its similar. They go to school long enough now, so i will let her be babied for another year... plus we would have to find childcare for the period when kinder would finish until we finished work - unless they are able to go to the afterschool care programe associated with the primary school?

hello Mr Google. BBL

right - thanks - i think i get the gist of it. It's like school before they actually go to school?

I wont be sending DD in that case then. We are quite happy with her daycare centre, who has a learning programe in the 3-5 year olds rooms anyway - so i guess its similar. They go to school long enough now, so i will let her be babied for another year... plus we would have to find childcare for the period when kinder would finish until we finished work - unless they are able to go to the afterschool care programe associated with the primary school?

hello Mr Google. BBL

Preschool isnt "school" per say, any learning they do is play based and it may be very similar to childcare (dont know though have never used it). They have 3 staff to 18 kids and a rough day is

9-9.30am free play (various activities are set up like building blocks, marbles, mobilo construction, drawing).

9.30am sit down for welcome song where they say hello in various languages and then use a different greeting for roll call, like "Bula" when their name is called

thats followed by a group activity where they might do some cooking or make something or talk about things

10.30am morning tea of shared fruit

then outside play - again free play and all sorts of equip like sandpit, obstacle courses, cubby house, climbing set & slippery slide, trikes

12pm lunch

1pm quiet time & stories then more games, painting and activities

3pm home time

And preschool is only for 4-5 year olds, DD's is a government one and costs practically nothing - $170 per year. There is no after care associated with our preschool but is at primary school.

From what I've learnt about kindergarten next year its along the same lines, I was worried about next year and the "formal learning" aspect but having visited the school and attended an info night I feel alot better. There's lots of play, activities and learning too but not in the way you'd consider school.

Just out of interest what do they do at childcare for 3-5 year olds?
yeh
daycare smile
Sign in to follow this topic