Huggies Forum

Anyone got a good custard recipe? Rss

sometimes I buy a custard tart for myself when I got to the bakery, but now I have to share it with my 8 month old who loves it. He also loves the heinz banana/vanilla custards.

I would love to know how to make custard from scratch I forget how to do it.

If you have a good custard recipe let me know....

Vic, 3 y.o boy

Hello Scorpion,

There are some great tasting ready made custards in the fridge section of supermarkets as well. But if you want to make it from scratch, you can try either of these recipes.

1 egg
1/2 teaspoon vanilla essence
1 cup milk
2 tablespoons sugar
2 tablespoons flour

Mix ingredients thoroughly in a microwave proof jug, mixing the egg in after other ingredients. After cooking for one minute in the microwave (or as soon as custard starts bubbling up), stop microwave and stir. Put back in, stirring every 20 seconds until thick enough.

Here is another recipe which is kind of from scratch:

2 cups milk
2-3 tablespoons custard powder
1-2 tablespoons sugar
1/2 teaspoon vanilla essence

Place custard powder and sugar in a bowl and add 1/4 of the milk. Stir until smooth. Meanwhile, heat rest of milk in saucepan over moderate heat, stirring occasionally until very hot but not boiling. Stir custard powder mixture again briefly, then gradually pour into the hot milk whilst stirring constantly. Return the liquid to the stove. Turn the heat down to between medium and low and stir until the mixture thickens and boils. Remove from stove and add the vanilla.

Hope I've helped. And don't panic if it comes out lumpy because this can be rectified by using a blender.

Good luck,

Super.

bubsy32

This is a simple custard recipe escpecially for the baby introduced to solids. There is no egg as eggs may cause allergies even in the prepackaged baby custard.

approx 120ml formula
vanilla essence
apprx 1 tsp corn flour

Heat all together. Add the cornflour according to the consitency required!

My baby loves it mixed with fruit.

The colour of this custard is white and not yellow..
Hi there,

The easiest thing I have found is you can buy the packet mix custard from the dessert isle in the supermarket and all you need to add to the mixture to get your custard is milk, cook it on the stove and within a couple of minutes you have some yummy custard, you can add as little or as much milk as you want depending how thick or thin you want it. Lately I have added mashed banana to the custard (a thicker consistency this time) for my daughter (15 mths) and she loves it, so does my husband. It makes for a quick and easy dessert or as a snack during the day.

Mel, SA

i make a cheats custard out of packet custrad make as direcetd on pack and the i add an egg and cook a bit longer then add mashed banana

mum of 3 boys aged 11, 13 and 14

Sign in to follow this topic