Huggies Forum

getting out of car seat restraint Lock Rss

Hi Ladies, I have a problem, my 2 yr old boy, who is quite tall for his age is escaping out of his car safety seat. We have a safe n sound car seat and he can get his arms out through the straps, luckily he can not undo the buckle (yet),. We pull it as tight asit can go so its firm enough, but he still manages to get his arms out somehow and it is driving me crazy, as i am worried if there was ever an accident what could happen, as he can get out of it so easily. We hired a car while we went on a recent holiday and the same thing happened, he got out of the straps aswell. does anyone else know of this happening at this age, Its not really child proof then is it if a child can get out of the straps!!! Does anyone have any ideas on what I can do,
Please help, Ren, ( worried mother )

Ren, Qld, 2yr boy

Hi Ren, my 2yr old daughter does exactly the same thing .. and has been for quite some time. My only solution is I'm going to move her to a booster seat, she weights 13kg which is 1kg short of the recommended weight .. but it's got to be safer than having them take their straps off, and will hopefully take the worry out of travelling.

Cheers,
JaidasMum24

Jaida (6), Ameli (2) & Lacey (2mths) - SA

Hi Ren

Paige had only done this a couple of times. But my neice did it all the time, once she was heavy enough my sister put her into a booster seat and this solved the problem.

Rachel, TAS (Paige 21/6/02)

Hi Ren

I don't know where you live but my son who is 2 also did this and I went to the safety house at the royal brisbane hospital in brisbane and they sell a device that clips over the straps so that they keep them closer together over the chest and makes it harder to get his arms out...it worked for my son. it cost about $11

hope this helps

qld,3yr old boy

My kids did it a couple of times. Every time they did it I told them in a calm voice that it is very dangerous and you could get hurt. If I saw that they were doing it again, and I was driving, I said "quick get back in your seat belt or you might get hurt". It seemed to work on my kids. They don't do it anymore. We also say "click clack front and back". I hope this helps. Christy

Christy nsw 3 under 4

Hi Ladies, thank you so much for your feedback, I feel abit beter knowing that I am not alone on this, however i live on the gold coast, so perhaps i may try the safety device available from the Brisbane Hospital, its worth the hour and a half drive to keep him in his seat and we may even try the booster seat soon. But I have a feeling he may try to get out of that aswell, but we will give it all a go. Thanx again, Ren, Gold coast.

Ren, Qld, 2yr boy

I think everyone has the same problem, including me. Phoned SafenSound, they told me - They could not tell me how to discipline my children, but that they considered this a discipline issue, not theirs. Local store told me I should have wooden spoons under my car seat.
I think if they are called a child safety restraint. Then they should restrain our children safely.
But besides this I found a product which has been helping me. Valco have a product called a Valco ties, they come in a pack of 4 in different colours, they are sold for cables ties, but using the principle of valco. I basically wrap it around the two straps that go over the girls shoulders just above the buckle. The tie seems to stick to the seatbelt material (so it does not seem to ride up, I was worried about it moving up to their throats) and if you tuck the ends in towards their tummies my 2yr10mth old girls couldn't get them undone for sometime. I haven't had to use the tie for a week or so (can't actually remember when I last used them) They cost about $5 for the pack of 4.

Mum to twin girls 3yrs

Hi, seems like you have heaps of suggestions, however just wanted to let you know you can pick up the devices described on ebay for about $10.00 they are great, I got one for my 20 mth old who was getting her arms out of the straps regardless of how hard I tried to tighten the straps - good luck!
she's still in her normal car seat now - so it does work and is easy to install and open/close when putting them in their seats. Rgds Donna

threeunderthree

Sign in to follow this topic