Huggies Forum

Switch to Nappy-Pants

for toilet training!

Learn more

Use of dummies Rss

My 2 year old daughter has a very strong attachment to her dummy and also a blanket that we cannot go anywhere without. Does anybody have any ideas on how we can say goodbye to these things or is she still to young ? My main concern is the dummy at this stage but I think the two go hand in hand. Should I resign myself to a few weeks of screaming, tantrums and sleepless nights or would it be better to wait until she is older?
Hi does you daughter have her dummy during the day? if she does you could tell her that the dummy and the blanket are for bed time only and if she wants them she has to go to bed and always keep them in her bed and dont give in to tantrums.

If that doesnt work try cutting the top off the dummy and tell her its broken or if you have any relatives or friends with young babies tell her the new baby needs it because she doesnt have one and is sad and ask your daughter to give it to the baby.

Good Luck

2 little darlings 29/01/03 + 17/03/05

a frend cut off the teat part so thre is only the ring to hold ontp nothoing to suck

mum of 3 boys aged 11, 13 and 14

Hello,
My son swapped his dummy for a bag of lollies when he was 2 1/2! we had 2 sleepless nights and have not had a dummy scince. Other friends of mine have left the dummy out for santa, or easter bunny in return for presents. good luck just do what feels right for you.

Cristie, SA, boy 18/04/01, girl 22/05/03

Hi,
I just limited my sons access to his dummy. It was for bedtime or a comforter if he hurt himself. It was a big no to have it at the shops or while he was happy playing. Maybe that your daughter is alittle older you could create a special box/drawer/shelf where she can put her dummy and blankie in of a morning, then easily retrive of a night as a part of a bedtime routine? I hope this gave you a couple more ideas. Melissa

Jordan 7/3/01 & Ashleigh 5/4/04

Hi I too have a child who is addicted to his dummy. he was only using it to settle for his daytime sleep and we did manage to get him to give it up when he was 2 because I forgot to send it to daycare. They just told him he was a big boy and didn't need it anymore. Everything was going well until the new baby came along and had a dummy of his own. Unfortunately we have now gone backwards with the two year old. Every chance he gets, he takes his little brothers dummy and has a stash of old flat dummies that he likes to cuddle when he goes to bed. I know I just have to be tough and take them off him but I'm so busy with the baby that I can't deal with the tantrums and sleepless nights that I know will come when I finally take them away. Good luck I hope you have a win and not too many sleepless nights and tantrums. the only advice I can give is once you get the dummy off her don't give in !

caroline,WA,kade16/12/02 and Corey 16/2/04

We had the same problem with our little girl and her dummy and bunny. We thought she was going to be going to high school with them both. We tried to do the no dummy thing, but it didn't work and she got too distressed. So we figured we would leave it for a while and try again later. At the age of 3 she came out one morning, out of the blue, and said "I don't need my dummy any more, I'm a big girl' and then tossed it into the bin! She has never asked for it again. This also means that the big attachment to bunny has gone as well, although bunny is still cuddled during the night. She is now turning 4 in 2 months time. I tell you it is nice without the attachment, because we can go places and not have to make sure dummy and bunny are with us, because we really suffered if they weren't. I don't agree in forcing the issue, it will happen, when they are ready. Good Luck with whatever you decide to do though. The dummy is much better than the thumb though, according to our dentist!

Pigeon Pair

Hi, My girl is now 17mnths and she has just started with the blanket thing. I didn't mind the dummy but now its both and she goes everywhere with it (only inside) we won't let her take it out with us and shes happy to leave the blanket home.

She hadn't yet had a tantrum coz she couldn't take the blanket when we go out. After she cuts her last set of teeth I am getting rid of the dummy. But the blanket I rekon will be around for a little longer.

Alanna,VIC DD 030503 DS1 290605 & DS2 040407

hi with my daughter we were driving along one day and she threw a tanturm and threw her dummy at me so I said to her right if you dont want it Ill throw it out the window and she said ok so I pretended to and she started to cry I said you told mummy to and she cryed for 15 mins then never asked for it again . at bedtime she just looked at me and said dummy out the window and I just said yes .she went to sleep no worries and I havnt looked back she was just turned 2. mine you we now have to get rid off that bottle . Also make sure all dummies are well hidden after you try this
wow thats great news fluttah, i didnt realsie the little man didnt have his dummy anymore smile

Sharon, 24, Qld, 2 boys 3 & 5, girl 1.

I had the same trouble with my daughter to give up her dummy, she would not let it go, she finally let it go at the age of 3 when one day we said the dummy fairy is coming to get your dummy tonight so all the new little babys can have one, she excepted that. then she thought she did a good thing and was proud. We also had the blanket issue, however it wasnt a blanket she was attached to she wanted to take everywhere, it was my satin nighty, she use to love the feel of it and it was security for her as it smelt like mummy, she wanted to take it everywhere, it was embarressing, but kept her quiet, she is now six, and outgrown it, but occassionally asks for one of my satin nightys to help her get to sleep, Its rather cute. Ren : )

Ren, Qld, 2yr boy

Sign in to follow this topic