Huggies Forum

Switch to Nappy-Pants

for toilet training!

Learn more
  1. home
  2. Baby Forum
  3. Toddler
  4. Toddlers & Relationships
  5. How do I prepare my toddler for the new baby?

How do I prepare my toddler for the new baby? Rss

Hello all,

I am wondering if anyone can give me some advice to prepare my toddler daughter for the arrival of her baby brother? She will be 19 months old when I have my baby boy. We bought her a baby doll, which she adores. She cuddles "her baby" which I guess is a good sign? I have also heard she will still be young enough to be pretty self absorbed and will see the new baby as a toy or something new of interest in her world. I would value any ideas or opinions on this.

Hi Michelle,

Just my thoughts....

Your little girl is still very young and i don't think there is really much you can do to prepare her, other than what you have already done.

When the time comes, just make sure you keep an extra eye out for any problems that may be building! It will be easy for you to dedicate some one on one time with her in the first few months as new borns USUALLY sleep a fare bit at first!

Otherwise, assuming you have wink a supportive partner, he can take that role for the time being. Try not to let her feel left out, and ask friends to make a special deal of No1 too, not just the new bub!

Take care always,

Tepe smile

DD5, DS3, DS lost to SIDS at 6mths & DD6m

Hi Michelle,
another suggestion is to have visiting relatives to fuss over your daughter first when they arrive and then go to the baby. That way she will not feel left out when visitors are there. Also when she first comes to hospital to see her new brother, make sure there is a gift from him to her, she will really be exited that her little brother gave her a present.
good luck with everything smile

Vic, 2 girls - 9 yo & 17mth old

Hi Michelle,
I like the suggestion that jacmad gave about the present from your baby son to give to her when she goes to the hospital. I think this is special. Good luck with it. I hope all goes well with the birth and lets hope his sister does not get too upset that there is someone else to share mummy and daddy with. I will be interested in hearing how it goes, because we are looking to have another baby next year when my son is nearly 3. Keep us informed.
Good Luck!
Hi Mum's,

Thanks for all your wonderful suggestions smile

I will be doing the gift thing... even if my daughter doesn't quite understand, she will be impressed if she gets a new toy.

I found a book at a secondhand shop the other day called Prearing For the New Baby... it was a golden book or similar, but a couple of pages had been ripped out so I didn't buy it, but from what I could tell it was about the older child helping get ready for the new baby... has anyone else seen this???

I have been telling my daughter about her baby brother growing in mum's tummy and she looks at me like "Oh, yeah?" but I am sure she understands a little bit now.

Keeping the attention on her will be important too. I will make a really conscious effort to make sure my daughter gets equal attention from everyone. I guess it is all the little things that make the big difference...

Funny you know, when my daughter was first born and everyone came to see her, I felt left out... nobody had come to see me... just my baby. I will definitley make sure my daughter does not feel this way when her brother is born.

Thanks again... and any more ideas, please keep them coming.

Michelle smile

Hi Michelle,

My beautiful boy is about to turn 1 & my daughter was 2 1/2 when he was born, so she was a little bit older than your daughter. Anyway, we gave her a present from Nicholas & she thought this was just fantastic. It was a little play centre the incorporated a baby bath, bed, mobile, high chair thing & the idea was when I was bathing or feeding Nicholas, she could do th same with her baby. This worked a treat, Also make her your "special helper". Georgia was so excited at the fact that she could get me a nappy, or a bib or something like that, if it was to help her brother. I realise your daughter is a bit younger & may not quite understand. but I hope this gives you some ideas. I have not had one problem with jealousy at all, if anything, she kills him with kindness..............which is beautiful to see!!!!

Cheers & good luck.

Michelle - Mum to 2

Sign in to follow this topic