Huggies Forum

Switch to Nappy-Pants

for toilet training!

Learn more

Night terrors Rss

My 2 1/2 year old son Zack has always been a fantastic sleeper.
He sleeps from 7-7 and has a 2 hour nap every afternoon.
However recently he has been waking in hysteria. he is incoherant when trying to tell me whats wrong and he has this glazed look in his eyes. No matter what i do he doesnt calm down i just have to try and hold him while he cries then all of a sudden he just flops back down on his pillow and goes back to sleep. this usually only happens once a night within the first few hours of going to bed and sometimes during his daytime nap.
Has anyone else experianced anything like this if so how did you deal with it?
Kath

Kathryn - Zack-4, Toby-2 & Molly 1

Hi,

My eldest daughter had night terrors from about 2-2.5 years (they started at the same time we had our second child). She also started having nightmares and sleep walking. She had always been a good sleeper before this started, and they only(!) lasted for about 6 months. Holding him until he goes back to sleep is about all you can do. Parentlink (www.parentlink.act.gov.au) has a parent guide which talks about nightmares, sleepwalking and night terrors - which might give you some more ideas.

Good luck.

mum to 2 girls

Hi,
I cant speak from experience but I have been going through all my old parenting magazines (new bub due) and they had an article on it. I read it yesterday as I hadnt heard about them before. They doctor stated that if they had them at a predictable time each night to wake them 15 mins before due to happen and take bub to toilet change nappy give a drink. He was from peadiatric sleep unit and suggested that this broke the sleep cycle that it happens in, as when the night terror occurs the child never fully awakens??? Like I said I dont have any experience with it fist hand just thought it was interesting.
Anyway he said after about 2 weeks you shouldn't need to do it anymore and see how you go.
I can prob email the article if you are interested?
good luck and let us know how you get on
Bec

Bec, NsW, charlie 5, AJ almost 3

Thanks heaps for your replies. I will try waking him-that sounds like a great idea.
Thanks
Kath

Hi just wondering how you are going with the night terrors as my 18 mth daughter has just started waking in the night absolutely screaming. She also is a brilliant sleeper(was). the trouble is she can't yet tell me if its a bad dream or what????? anyway goodluck

cairns,18mth girl

Hi sheri,
sorry its taken me a while to reply to you question.
I took a few nights of trying to time the dreams but there was no consistant pattern so i spent a week sleeping in his room with him and hardly slept myself but as i noticed him starting to stir and get restless i jumped in bed with him and held him and calmed him down. i think this broke his throught pattern without waking him right up. since then we have only had a few bad dreams. i think you just need to do a bit of trail and error and find what works best for your little one. its tough though isnt it? seeing their scared little faces and holding their trembling bodies and not being able to explain its not real.
all the best
Kath

Sign in to follow this topic