Huggies Forum

Switch to Nappy-Pants

for toilet training!

Learn more
  1. home
  2. Baby Forum
  3. Toddler
  4. Caring for your Toddler
  5. Home/Daycare change in routine for long days out dilema!

Home/Daycare change in routine for long days out dilema! Rss

Hi all,

My DD starts daycare in 3 weeks for 3 consecutive days a week. This will mean a big change in routine for those 3 days as we have to get up alot earlier. It's a 1.5hr drive to work and daycare from home so I'll have to leave home at 6am to be able to start at 8am.

We currently have the following routine which works great...

0700 Wake/Bottle
0800 Solids
0930 Sleep
1100 Wake/Bottle
1200 Lunch
1400 Sleep (about 1-1.5hrs)
1700 Solids
1800 Bath
1840 Bottle
1900 Bed

We now have to leave home by 6am and I don't want to wake her too early in case she then wakes early on our home days but she'll need to be fed before we leave. Unfortunately I can't pop her in the car and let her sleep on the way and feed her when we get there because she wakes as soon as you pick her up. We probably won't get home until after 6.30pm either. If she could hold her bottle or sippy cup up I'd give it to her in the car but she can't tip it back far enough unless she's lying on her pillow.

Did anyone else have similiar problem? Any ideas for new routine on those 3 daycare days? Will going back to the above routine on the days we are home just confuse her?

Thanks!
Sandra
P.S

She will be 11mths old.
My eldest started daycare at 10.5 mnths, the youngest at 1. I was worried about their routines before they started, but found both quickly settled in, and found new routines that worked. They are now 2 and 4, and attend 3 consecutive days a week. Daycare days are a stricter routine than home days, particularly in the morning - they get up about 1-1.5 hrs earlier on daycare days than home days (we get an occassional early wake up on home days, but not often).

With my eldest, we found that we had to cut out the morning drink, and just have solids, before we left. She then had her drink as soon as she arived at childcare (60 min later) - she could not handle both in the hour we allowed to get ready in the mornings, and experimenting (and cleaning the car seat when she was sick on the way to child care) quickly showed what worked. Even though she is now 4, we still have to limit her milk intake in the morning or her stomach will not handle the drive.

My youngest used to go to bed at 6:30, but on daycare days we don't get home until then, so gradually her bedtime got pushed back. I have to admit though that she did not always get a bath on daycare days - as by the time she ate she was too tired and upset to bath - so a quick wipe down during the nappy change had to do.

By the end of the week, they are both tired, and cranky, but they quickly recover during the 4 days at home.

Good luck, I'm sure it will all work out, and that you will find a routine that works.

mum to 2 girls

Sign in to follow this topic