Huggies Forum

Switch to Nappy-Pants

for toilet training!

Learn more

cleaning teeth Rss

Does anyone know when it is recommended that you can start using toothpaste with toddlers?

Mel, SA

You can start using it now, you can buy baby toothpaste and on the tube it recommends using a pea size amount.

mum of 1

I have heard you can start now, when they are 12 months old, but preferably when they are at least 2 years old. There was another disscussion about this in another forum. I think it was under 'baby's growth and developmen under the 'teething' headline I think. One of the mums said one of her friends brushed her friends teeth with toothpaste and he ended up have 8 pulled out as the toothpaste ruined them. I can't remember the rest of the story exactly. If you want go to that forum and read the full story.

Karen, Vic, Nicholas 26/10/02

I think the reason you shouldn't use adult toothpaste is because some of them contain sugar. I agree that you should try to hold off as long as possible before using toothpaste and then when you do it should be one specially formulated for children.

Vic, 2 girls - 9 yo & 17mth old

my 17 mo son has just a tiny bit of baby tooth paste the 2 oldre ones hve a bit more

mum of 3 boys aged 11, 13 and 14

hi my 15 month old daughter still doesnt use toothpaste as she only has 8 teeth and I dont think she needs it. She put her toothbrush in the rubbish bin too so she hasnt got a toothbrush now either, I still just wipe her teeth wit a damp cloth.

I've heard not to use toothpaste till their 2.

2 little darlings 29/01/03 + 17/03/05

Hi,

I started with one of those very mild baby toothpastes at around 12 months of age. If you only put enough on so they get the taste it shouldn't be harmful. As your child gets older you can use a pea size amount but then you should also be encouraging them to spit it out...

Goodluck with the early joys of teeth cleaning.

Michelle smile

Sign in to follow this topic