Learn more
  1. home
  2. Baby Forum
  3. Toddler
  4. Feeding your Toddler
  5. When do I give up the bottle?

When do I give up the bottle? Rss

Hi everyone,
I breastfed my little girl until 16 1/2 months with occassional bottles for convenience. She didn't really care where it came from as long as she was fed. Since then we only have an early morning bottle of 180ml and a 1/2 hr before bed bottle of 180ml both cows milk. I dont like seeing 3 year olds running around with bottles and would like to know when bottles should stop. We haven't mastered using a cup yet. Any ideas and help would be appreciated. Thanks

Fiona, NSW

Hi.

My daughter is 13 months old and is down to 2 bottles a day. She has 200mls cows milk first thing in the morning and 175mls cows milk just before bed. During the day she drinks from a cup. She hasn't mastered it herself yet, but I sit the cup on the coffee table out of reach and she will get my attention and point to it when she wants a drink. So while it may be a little bit time consuming I am happy to do this for my daughter. I take bottles when we are out during the day with water and diluted juice, but my daughter protests as she wants the cup. I tried using one of those sipper / spout cups but my daughter couldn't get the hang of it, so we went straight to a normal every day plastic cup which she loves to use.

Before I used a cup with my daughter I had actually put a plstic one in her toy box and she used to play with it and preted to drink out of it, so then I knew it was time to start introducing the cup.

Hope this will give you some ideas.

Goodluck,

Michelle smile
just try a sippa cup

mum of 3 boys aged 11, 13 and 14

my daughter is nearly 2, she still has 1 or 2 bottle of milk, a day 1 in the morning and 1 at bed time she also has several cups of water or juice a day. i too don't like to see older kids with bottles or dummies. i have found spill proof cups are a good idea.my daughter is a tall girl and solid(not fat), so i only like her to have her bottle and dummy at home. i am hoping that shortly after her 2nd birthday she will like her older brother did throw her bottles in the bin. once she has all her teeth her dummy will follow. you do what you feel is right for her. good luck

trudy,nsw,mum to kai 5 & chelsea 21 mths

Sign in to follow this topic