Huggies Forum

Switch to Nappy-Pants

for toilet training!

Learn more

Any advice on challenging toys? Rss

Good morning to all, Just need some advice. Im looking at purchasing some new toys for my daughter who is 15 months old. I want to buy her sometime (different)........Can anyone suggest a really good toy where the toys will make her think, something interactive, something different where she can think, question, etc........are there any challenging toys out there?

Your advice is appreciated.
you may already have one of these, but a shape sorter is always good. The child learns about colours and shapes and it can take some time for them to learn where each one goes. We got one from K-mart for around $10 it has 4 colours and each colour has 3 shapes and it also has a clock on it.

You could also try some stacking cups or those gift boxes that you can buy that have 5 or 6 that fit into each other.

Hope that gives you some ideas.
This post has been edited by the moderator.
have you looked at the fisher-price and/or lamaze ranges?? what about those 'talking' books i'm not sure what brand they are, but they'd be a challenging and stimulating toy i'm sure!!

eìí? well ... it started with a kiss eìí?-3-064

hi, i am not sure weather you have already got a shape sorter but i have found the fisher price cookie jar shape sorter a great toy not only is it chanenging but it also teaches them shapes but also colours and numbers. it also lights up and says cute little sayings.
hope this helps you.
Hi saf

I don't have any idea's on what toys are great for your daughters age as my son is only 6 months. But do you have a toy library??
We have them in NZ and they are great as they have a whole range of toys for newborn right up till about 5years. From books and puzzles to ride on toys and all in between.
You pay a small annual sub and then from about 20 (depending on the toy) cents you can hire for 2 weeks.

It's fantastic as you don't have to pay heps for a toy only for you child to get bored etc. And if they really like somthing you can go out and buy it.

Good luck in finding the right toys

Tineka, Mum to Hamish 3yrs, Abby 1yr & 1due 10/04

Hi Saf,

I have a 17 month old daughter who loves toys that challenge her. She loves her shape sorter as lots of other mum's have suggested. I got one from tupperware it is a ball shaped thing. My daughter also loves wooden blocks and once I showed her a few times how to stack them up and build things I found her doing it on her own. I just recently also got my daughter some wooden jig saw puzzels, the ones where the peices have a little handle that you pick them up with. I got one that is basic shapes and one with farm animals on it. My daughter will sit on the floor and muddle them out, she thinks they are great.

Hope this gives you a few more ideas too.

Michelle smile
Thank you for the advice. I'll be buying her some of those toys this week. Thanks once again.
good idea about the toy library we belong to one . its good to try the toys and then if they are particurly good then u can buy one.

mum of 3 boys aged 11, 13 and 14

I know this thread is old ...
Anything open ended Eg: blocks, train sets, cars, sand pit, tea set, lego, crayons, playdough. These type of toys are never boring as they rely on the childs imagination.

The thing with some toys is once they have been figured out they are left and never touched again.
Sign in to follow this topic