Huggies Forum

Switch to Nappy-Pants

for toilet training!

Learn more

activities Rss

Hi guys,
Wasn't sure what topic to put this under but I'm sure someone can help me.
I was wanting to know what you do with your 14/15 month old's in the way of activities. Games, toys, outings anything really. I have a boy who used to play happily by himself for hours but is now bored after about 15 minutes. Our day's seem pretty repetitive and I am looking for some different things to do. Any ideas at all will be greatly appreciated.
Thanks

Kelly,QLD, boy 23.01.03 and girl 08.04.05

My 15 month old enjoys anything with water, only trouble with this is that the weather is getting colder. He also enjoys scribbling with a charcoal pencil (we tried crayons, but he ate too much of them). He also enjoys being spun around, chased, tickled.
I also take him to the park occasionally and put him on the toddler swing which he also enjoys for short periods.

Rachelle, NZ, son George 10.12.02, Ian 15.06.04

Easy puzzles, reading books with animals so he can learn to make the animal noises, toys he can pull around, toys with buttons to push or can put things in and out of. building things with blocks, riding a bike, anything to develop their motor skills. Also dress ups, learning how to put a hat, necklace on or off is a big thrill. Climbing up on things at the park, it helps them learn to balance better and strengthen muscles when pulling themselves up.
Oh I know exactly what you mean!!

I find that James is occupied much longer when outside, but of course you have to be happy for them to get dirtly, cos if there's any dirt around they will find it. So dirt, sticks, and rocks are all pretty interestin things.
If you live near a beach, they will play in the sand for ages.
Again I find the attraction at playgrounds is also sand rather than anything else.
Give your tot a hose (if the weather in your area is suitable).
And for quieter times inside we read a book for a bit, or play with blocks & other toys. I find that if you put a toy away for a few days then bring it our again it helps with the interest factor.
Tickling & Chasing is pretty good too, but you may need to settle them down a bit after a while.

On warmer days you can go to the pool for an hour or two.

Check out if your local library does storytimes, theyre free and it doesn't matter if the kid mainly roams around and mingles with both kids their own age and older too. It's the songs in between the stories that generally get their interest!
There are also bound to be playgroups around the place (and generally don't cost a great deal to attend)

And for a bit of fresh air and relaxation (specially if your day is starting to get on top of you) there is nothing more refreshing than a walk with the stroller or one of those back packs if you have one.

Hope some of these ideas help...
I thinks I've surprised myself with the variety of things we actually have available here, although things may feel monotonous to you, they probably don't to bubs, and they probably look forward to doing the simplest things every day!

Kristina, Mum of James 3yrs & Matilda 14 months

My daughter is 14 months old and loves being outside in her sandpit or on her swings. She also loves playing with the broom and vacuum cleaner and helping me around the house.

I'll put dirty clothes on the floor and tell her to take them to the laundry and that keeps her occupied for awhile as she goes back and forth.

She also likes hiding at the moment. Try putting some chairs together and putting a sheet/blanket over the top and throw some toys underneath. The Huggies play tent is also a huge hit especially because I put a zillion plastic balls inside it.

Crayons are fun but edible. Mega Blocks are a favourite and also a game of chasing.
Maya is 13 mths and has just started getting into mega blocks.
I take her for a walk to our local park once or twice a week. It's about a 20 min walk each way and we take morning or afternoon tea with us for a little picnic.
Also I take her swimming at the local pool once a week. Even when it's cold the pool is heated, just make sure bubs has lots of warm clothes to wear afterwards. We wuite often go with a friend from playcenter who is a similar age and the kids potter around in the water together.
Playcenter is great too. We go 2 morniings a week and gives Maya a chance to do all the 'messy' things like painting and playdough. That way she is experiencing these things without making a mess at home. She loves playcenter.
I also have her in a creche 2 days a week while I study which she loves because it is great interaction with other babies and toddlers. She has been going since she was 5 mths and has no separation anxiety which is great.
Remember too that kids have short memories so what seems monotonous to you is probably a safe and comfortable routine for bubs.

Mum to Maya Grace 02-03, Sienna & Mercedes 10-06

Hi Kelly I also have a 14 month old who requires lots of time. It just depends where in Queensland you live as to the types of activities you both can enjoy. I am in north Brisbane and we love to go for walks to the park and kick a ball around. He loves these active sorts of games. We go on the swings at the park as well. We play a very basic hide and seek at home and chase each other around. We build up towers and make things using the duplo blocks for 1 and a half year olds. I also picked up from a book store recently a set of books entitled 365 TV free activities for toddlers and the other book is 365 TV free activities for children. I have found some great stuff in it and have started using them. Have a look around the set sells for around $10. They are only small books. Hope you can find it and get plenty of ideas. Good luck keeping him entertained.
Hi guys keep them coming!! in the last week I have discovered that I have a climber and an escape artist on my hands and judging by what your toddlers are up to he is a bit behind with his capabilities but is he is not interested or can't do yet we'll just try later!! Thanks for the ideas and like I said keep them coming!!

i have tried unsuccesfully to teach my 17 mo old son patty cake . he can clap his hans and can clap them on mine but thats it. my 2.5 yr old can do it it takes practice but can alleviate a bit of the boredom . a friend said she gve her son a pint brush and water and said to him to"paint" the bricks etc outside though its getting a bit too cool now . hve fun

mum of 3 boys aged 11, 13 and 14

Hi Kelly

A couple of weeks ago I bought a book called '365 TV-Free Activities for Toddlers'. It has heaps (365) of ideas for ages 1-4. It's written by Di Hodges and published by Hinkler Books. It's got a recipe for playdough and heaps of other stuff. One of the best things is that it is an Australian book so all the activities are relevant to our kids.

All the best
Jasmine smile
Thanks these are all fantastic. I absolutely love the idea of painting with water we did it as kids and I had completely forgotten nice and mess free!!

Hey Jasmine,

The book you mentioned sounds great. How are you finding it after this time?? My daughter has just turned one and I have tried to avoid using the TV as a babysitter so it sounds like just the thing. grin

Did you just get it from a normal bookshop??

Sign in to follow this topic