Huggies Forum

Pregnant & Working? Lock Rss

I am 2 months pregnant and working 55 hours a week? Anyone feeling the same?

Any suggestions?
I was pregnatnt and working with my first until 7 months, But it defiantely would be in your best interest and bubs to slwoly reduce your workload/hours as your pregnancy progresses smile

Sharon, 24, Qld, 2 boys 3 & 5, girl 1.

thank you so much i have been finding it quite draining and still have awhile to go. So you think around 7 months is a good time! Now that helps I was going to wait until 4 or 3 weeks prior but i physically dont think i can do it. I didn't realise it I would been so physically tired. Thank you smile
When you give up wor is an individual preference smile, If your feeling that you cant go on and its too draining, then it would probably be advisable to finish earlier.

My work load was a normal 9-5 day, far from yoru work load, and pregnancy really does take it out of you.

Have you had your blood tests for iron levels and so on done, also make sure your eating a well balanced diet, and drinking lots of water??

there could be an underlying problem as to why your so tired (jsut a simple one nothing to panic over) smile

Im sure there are some other mums out there who will share their thoughts and experiences which will probably differ to mine smile

I'm 23 weeks and work an 8.30-5 office job. It can be stressful but is not physically demanding. However, I'm still finding that I'm really tired by the end of the day and all the little stresses are turning into big stresses now and I find myself almost in tears over all sorts of things now that would never have bothered me before. I'm also a lot more forgetful which could be quite a problem in my job except that I have a good diary system and reminders!

I was planning to work until the end of Feb (baby due 20 March) but as of today I think I'll be finishing up earlier because I don't think I could handle being really pregnant, hot and stressed. I think you just need to do what your body tells you to do and stop (or cut back) when you need to. I wish my employers were a little more flexible because I'd drop to part-time or do some work from home now if they would let me!

Mum to Caitlin & Owain

Hi gesika
i worked until i was 34 weeks full time & shift work. It depends on what type of work you are doing, personally i would try and cut back the hours you work.
goodluck!
Thanks Ladies xox

All your advice was great and helpful. I think I am going to take, do what my body tells me. Sounds like a great idea. Yeah my iron levels were low but I have been told to take megasol I think it is called it is an iron tablet for prgnant women and it also reduces the risk of spin bifida I was told smile.

It is nice to hear others opinions thanks
Good Luck gesika smile

Finishing works before bub is due also gives you a chance to

(a) enjoy your pregnancy

(b) time to get any last minute details sorted without stressing and rushing more than necessay smile

My greatest fear is that I'll finish work thinking I've got a few weeks and the baby will decide to turn up early. This has happened to a few people I know and my midwife said its quite common. I don't want to finish too early (and in NZ you can only finish so many weeks before the birth and still get paid parental leave) but I don't want to wait too long!

Mum to Caitlin & Owain

i worked 55 hours a week hard physical labour for all my pregnancy i gave up 4 weeks before i had my daughter. i dont see anything wrong with working while pregnant. i got over the tiredness, the agony of soreness.. well i learnt to deal with it and got on with my job. next time i would give up 7 weeks before hand. 4 weeks wasnt long enough for me to get ready.

Narelle, Eilish 5th june 2002 TTC since dec 2002

I was working aprox 50hrs per week with my first pregnancy (office as well as physical work) and I was planning on stopping at 38 weeks so I could have a few weeks before bub came. At my 38 week check up they decided to induce me at 38 weeks (due to very little amniotic fluid) and I ended up working the day I went to hospital and got induced later that afternoon.
It was when I was in labour that I realized that it is so important for you to have had plenty of rest before hand, to try and help you have as much energy as possible.
I felt totally exhausted through labour and I really feel that if I hadn't been working so far to the end, and had taken a little more time out for myself and had plenty of rest before hand that it would of made a big difference. You work so hard physically in labour that you do not want to be worn out before you even start.
Then, to top it all off - once bubs is born - you get very little sleep for quite a few nights (or even weeks...months...).
My advice: Sleep, rest and pamper yourself as much as possible leading up to your due date. You won't be ever able to do it again, coz more than likely if you have another baby you will have another child you are running around after.
All the best with your pregnancy.

Linda (Jessica 3/4/03, Caleb 11/4/05)

I worked up until 28 weeks, but had to stop after I got Symphisis Pubis Dysfunction asmy job required sitting for long periods which aggravated my pelvic muscles. It also coincided with xmas.
I'm glad that I finished early enough to get plenty of rest, prepare everything for baby, and I also went away for a week to stay withmy grandparents which was a very special time for us.
I would have liked to work a few more weeks tho, as towards the end I got very bored and restless. I'm glad I didn't leave it too late tho - Maya was born at 38 wks.

Mum to Maya Grace 02-03, Sienna & Mercedes 10-06

Sign in to follow this topic