Huggies Forum

The Huggies Forum is closed for new replies and topics, you can still read older topics.

ultrasounds Lock Rss

how many ultrasounds do you get throughout the pregnancy?

how many ultrasounds do you get throughout the pregnancy?

Standard single baby, public system pregnancy would have upto 3.

1 early date scan
1 12 weeks nucal fold scan
1 18/20 week morphology scan

Sometimes you get an extra if they don't get good pics at the first 18weeks scan. Sometimes you might get one later on to check growth or fluid levels or to check the position of baby near delivery
In New Zealand it is generally two: the 12 week scan and the 20 week scan.
As the PP said 3 is the standard maximum with the public system however any extra scans your midwife think you need are also free (in New Zealand). In my pregnancy I had 1 paid for scan (as I wanted a 3d) but I also had 6 free ones (the 12 weeks nuchal fold scan, the 18/20 weeks morphology scan, and a further 4 to follow up on a low lying placenta and other complications).

As the PP said 3 is the standard maximum with the public system however any extra scans your midwife think you need are also free (in New Zealand). In my pregnancy I had 1 paid for scan (as I wanted a 3d) but I also had 6 free ones (the 12 weeks nuchal fold scan, the 18/20 weeks morphology scan, and a further 4 to follow up on a low lying placenta and other complications).

I have had 2 ultrasounds at 18 weeks, one free and one paid for, both at pathology clinics as the hospital told me I would have to wait too long for an appointment through their system. At 25 weeks, the midwife also asked me to go book myself in to a private ultrasound as the results she had from my last scan weren't conclusive enough for her! ( Luckily I didnt need to do this as there were 2 sets of results and she had read the wrong ones!)

I've had 3 and I'm not happy about it. First try at the nuchal scan baby was too small and we had to go back. Then I got another one at 20 weeks for the sex and measurements. I'm absolutely praying I don't need to have another one because they're so invasive for baby.
'Normally' it's just the 18wk scan unless you opt or are recommended to have the 11/12 wk NT scan. (This was mandatory for me in Qld if mother was over 30 years old.) I say normally, but maybe that's pre-2008. With my third, it was just the one at 18wks, but with my fourth, I had to have the NT as well, and because they thought my baby was too small I had another at 36wks.
This 'dating' scan is all new to me! Am I abnormal in knowing when I had my last period? Even though I knew my dates, they still had me get this scan, which I put off until 12wks.
Now that I am expecting twins, I have been told this hospital 'loooove' scans and the doc told me yesterday, they maybe even as frequent as every two weeks! What the?? While I love seeing them, who can be bothered!! I'm healthy and unless the babies indicate they're having probs, I certainly do not intend having that many scans. It's enough they've told me I can only see the doctors and not midwives, and every two weeks at that! I have enough to deal with, having four kids at home, without going to the hospital all the darn time.
I found out the sex of my last at the 11wk NT scan, and while the sonographer, wouldn't guarantee the result, to her and us it was pretty certain Mary was in fact a girl!
Blaa blaa blaa, sorry I have gone on here ladies! LOL

'Normally' it's just the 18wk scan unless you opt or are recommended to have the 11/12 wk NT scan. (This was mandatory for me in Qld if mother was over 30 years old.) I say normally, but maybe that's pre-2008. With my third, it was just the one at 18wks, but with my fourth, I had to have the NT as well, and because they thought my baby was too small I had another at 36wks.
This 'dating' scan is all new to me! Am I abnormal in knowing when I had my last period? Even though I knew my dates, they still had me get this scan, which I put off until 12wks.
Now that I am expecting twins, I have been told this hospital 'loooove' scans and the doc told me yesterday, they maybe even as frequent as every two weeks! What the?? While I love seeing them, who can be bothered!! I'm healthy and unless the babies indicate they're having probs, I certainly do not intend having that many scans. It's enough they've told me I can only see the doctors and not midwives, and every two weeks at that! I have enough to deal with, having four kids at home, without going to the hospital all the darn time.
I found out the sex of my last at the 11wk NT scan, and while the sonographer, wouldn't guarantee the result, to her and us it was pretty certain Mary was in fact a girl!
Blaa blaa blaa, sorry I have gone on here ladies! LOL

Really?! thats odd they'd want to scan that often. My midwife really frowns upon scans apparently for the baby its the equivalent to standing under a jet plane when it takes off and makes them uncomfortable blink My midwife says since we don't really know what the side effects of prenatal scanning is, why do it more than we should. I completely agree, i'd rather have a happy,healthy baby than a few extra gawks at her in the womb iykwim. Thats just my opinion though, to each, their own smile
I only had 2 scans for my first 2 kids - one early on at around 9wks, then the next at 18wks. For my 3rd baby, I had a 3rd scan at 33wks to check the position of the placenta. As I'm only young (28 now), I chose not to have the NT one at 12wks.
I have had to have scans every 2 weeks - but that is with identical twins who are a higher risk of TTTS which my OB is monitoring for. With my DD I had a total of 4, the last one was a check by new dr as i moved interstate at 36 weeks.
Hi,

I am 35 weeks pregnant and I have had a few ultrasounds!
I had dating scan at 9 weeks
12 weeks scan
15 week scan
20 week scan
25 weeks
29 weeks
30 weeks
31 weeks
32 weeks
35 weeks

I only am having one baby, but die to medical problems before I feel pregnant, they constently check the baby and my obstetrician has been doing the scans everytime I have an appointment just to make sure that the baby is fine!

Good luck and wishing you well!
Hi everyone,

I have had 4 so far and im 30 weeks with my first baby. Ill be going for a growth scan early january. I love seeing our baby, but ultrasounds re very uncomfortable for me. But, Doctors orders and I just wanna make sure our bubba is doin fine smile
Sign in to follow this topic