Huggies Forum

baby from 2 cultures Lock Rss

I have a 14.5 month old girl, and expecting 2nd bub in 2 weeks..
my situation is, i was born and raised in australia. on the other hand, my husband was born and raised in India. he came to Oz 8 years ago, and while he has accepted our way of life, he wants to raise our kids indian stlye..
like with Oz culture, but strict.
i'm ok about this, but i know he wants to go to india for a while, and i dont know how much it will influence our girl, or myself in how i've grown up..

has anyone got a multicultural family, or married to someone from another culture and taken their culture as a way of life?
My hubby is Malay and although he was raised in a VERY strict family he definately doesn't want that for our kids. He loves visiting where his family are from but only likes to go there for holidays nothing more permanent. We want the kids to know about dh's culture but would never be strict about it.

Taneisha 15/12/01, Tariq 29/05/03, Malik 25/08/05

Did anyone read the Sunday Mail today???

There is an article in there about a woman(white) who was raped by a dark man. She is against abortion and her and her husband decided to keep the baby.

They later adopted a dark son aswell. They seemed to have coped well with the mixed race family, expecially under the circumstances. The girl that was born after the rape, knows how she was conceived, but the mother tells her that she was the good that came from a bad act.

The family already had two boys (obviously both white), and the whole family adjusted. I dont know if I could have had the baby myself, after being raped, but I think its a lovely story about how the family have supported each other, despite being a mixed race family..

(The father has since left, but not because of the rape).

Laneisa, QLD, 5 kids + baby Flynn 24/02/05

Jennie,

I am australian and my husband is lebanese we spilt up just before our daughter was born but we had many different ideas on our child. He is muslim and so is me but my family is christian.

As people kmow muslims dont have christmas day, he doesnt want to give her one but my family does so we adapted. When she gets older she will know that christmas we dont celebrate but my family does. She will also follow the muslim traditions. It was hard for me as in lebanese families, family is everything whereas i would rather just spend a night with my husband at home instead of going and spening time with his whole family.

All we did was look at his cultre and mine (although i dnt really have one) and try to work with both. we agree on the religion issue but there is no way i am not letting my mother give her a xmas as my mother and my grandparents told me whether shes muslimor not they are giving her a christmas.

Its best to twlk things through now so problems dont arise. hope i helped a bit.

aimee

Aimee, 4 year old princess

Jennie

My daughter is a bi racial baby, I'm Australian & my fiance is African American, at present he is back in the States he is a US Military Soldier in the Army, we are re locating in October to the united states for good. I definently encourage you to expose your children to their cultures, both Australian & Indian. Your children will always be Australian, they were born here. Letting them experience the different foods, learning the language, traditional songs and reading books.
I thnk it would be a great experience for children.

Meaghan

My husband is French and I am a NZder. It is really important to both of us that our daughter learns about both cultures. My husband only speaks french to our daughter and she definetly understands him (she is 18mnths), he reads french books to her and she also watches DVD's in French.... She was born in London and we decided that we are going to split our time between NZ & France. We have been in NZ for 6 mnths and plan to move back to Paris in 2 yrs time..... We don't have any issues with religion, or discipline as we both kidn of grew up in similar family surroundings.....
Jennie..

This decision could be difficult for you. Like you I have married a man from the sub-continent. My husband is from Pakistan and I have come from a middle-eastern background, but we were both basically raised in Australia.

Have you met his parents/family? What religion is he?

I have been married for almost a year and I can tell you one thing - I have become completely anti-Paki! Don't get me wrong (and I hope I haven't offended anyone from the sub-continent) but it's a completely different culture. I just CAN NOT come to grips with it. I personally have found it extremely difficult.. and I am just SO glad my hubby is more religious than cultural (unlike his family). His family are very, very accepting of me and they really are wonderful people - but culture ruins everything. As a daughter-in-law I am extremely pressured and if you want to talk to me about it you can email me.

I don't really ever want to go to Pakistan and I will raise my children so that they clearly know the difference between islam and culture. I've noticed that many pakis/indians have a hard time distinguishing the difference between culture and religion.

Lastly - taking your little girl to india won't really affect her at that age. It's when she gets older I'd be more concerned. But make sure you go with him...

If you want to talk - you can email me at [email protected]

smile

Sami

Samira ~ 23/Sydney. Mom to Zayn born 26th July

Hi Jennie,

My husband is Australian European and I am Chinese. I have lived in NZ for over 17 years but my parents are still very culture-aware. They speak to Brayden in our chinese dialect and we celebrate Chinese New Year and Brayden gets money in a red packet (we ain't complaining about that!) LOL

My DH sometimes gets a bit annoyed with some of the things they might say or expect of us in bringing Brayden up but I think they understand that we will bring him up with good values. For the most part, they offer suggestions but we decide!!!We are very lucky as religion is not an issue... as my parents are Christian like us. However, if they were Buddhist or of a different religion - perhaps there would be some more major disagreements?

Although sometimes I feel like the meat in the sandwich... I am so glad that Brayden has the best of both cultures. We celebrate Christmas and he will in introduced to sports like cricket... we take him to the beach, he is learning to swim... (might sound funny but that's what I associate with Kiwi culture???).

My DH will happily add that Brayden will be supporting the Australian cricket team... but we'll have to wait and see... LOL

Bye for now.

I am maori and I have a tongan husband which weve been married for 4 years now and though I dont know alot about my own culture I know more of his culture than I do my own I take in and learn alot of their language and culture stuff like religion and it's good to know because I am due with our baby in aUGUST AND it will be part tongan and Maori and my husband wants the baby to be growen up around his parents which will enable our baby to learn the tongan culture which I think is great but wit indians in your case I am not too sure what they believe bit it's worth taking a look into but dont make your partner feel like you have to choose his way or another you are the babys mother and you have to decide what is best so I hope that helps a bit would like to hear from you.

Monica,nz,expecting mother

Sign in to follow this topic