Huggies Forum

Huggies® Ultimate
Newborn Nappies

Learn More

just found out. dont know where to start Rss

I am 24 and have just found out Im pregnant. This will be mine and my partners first born and we have no idea where to go from here. Im 6 weeks. Could some one give me some direction please
Hi Kellieb,

Firstly a Big Congratulations smile on your wonderful news. I've recently found out that I am pregnant with my 2nd. I have a beautiful 12 month old daughter. The best advice I can give you is to do some reading and get yourself informed about all the things that are going to happen. I read a book called "What to expect when you're expecting" written by Arelene Eisenberg, Heidi Murkoff and Sandee Hathaway. It answers all those questions you probably have, plus it breaks up each month of your pregnancy and tells you what to expect. If you haven't already been to your GP you should go to have the pregnancy confirmed. Your doctor will probably do a blood test for you. You should find out about antenatal classes at the hospital you want to deliver in. You need to be aware of what foods are safe to eat and what foods you should avoid while you are pregnant. You should go to your chemist and get some FOLATE tablets to take as well, they reduce the chance of spina bifida and other birth defects. All women of child bearing age need folate. You get it naturally from green leafy vegetables, but need more folate when you are pregnant. Wow, I could go on and on. Get yourself a good doctor and a good book, that's the best advice I can give you... oh and enjoy the wonderful experience of being pregnant. Whe are you due? I am due July, 2004. Hope to hear more from you soon. smile smile Michelle

Hi kellieb,

Congratulations on your pregnancy! It is a very exciting time but I know that it can also seem a bit overwhelming. I would suggest making an appointment to see your GP. He/She will confirm your pregnancy & then direct you as to where to next (ie refer you to an obstetrician or a hospital clinic).

The next thing I did was buy a good pregnancy book (or you could try your local library). I really liked the ones with pictures so you can visualise your baby's development. I can also recommend Kaz Cooke's "Up the duff" which is really easy to read & relate to - great for a laugh!

Don't forget to put yourself on some folic acid supplements and watch your diet & alcohol intake.

Hope all goes well, Best wishes!
anniesmum
I am 23 and have also just found out im pregnant - 11 weeks. I am having a Nuchal Fold Translucency scan in 2 weeks (they like to do it between 11-13) Definately see your DR!! Best thing i did! if you get lost just ask your dr what you need to do and when you see your obstetrician/gynaecologist they should advise you of anything else-Just ask!!.

I am single so am trying to take it step by step. sometimes planning everything is to overwhelming but im sure my best friend will be there doing it all for me....

I am going to get myself a good book and take it easy. Dr also said alcohol was fine (Smoking definately NOT!) but to do so in extreme moderation and not to wipe yourself out - so hard to do around this time of year without raising suspicion so i opt to be the designated driver!!! GOOD LUCK and CONGRATULATIONS!

Sweet Mazz

Big congratulations! I will say that the pregnancy was difficult for me, with morning sickness day and night. The birth was was easy, and I believe it can be easy for anyone with the right attitude. If you go into labor uptight it can't be good for you or your baby, so relax and let your body do the work. Start by talking to your doctor about ante-natal visits. Ask questions. If your current doctor can't help you, find another one who can. Decide whether you want to just use the hospital or go between your doctor and the hospital. Decide now what sort of a birth you want. My suggestion is to try for a natural birth with no drugs, but also keep an open mind. If you need them, take them. If the doctors say you have to have a caesarean, trust them. I had a natural birth no drugs and was able to walk my baby from birth suite to maternity ward. Good luck. And whatever happens, it's worth it. My daughter is 4 and a half months old and crawling and gooing, and saying "mumma"

mother to Hannah born August 9 2003

congrats!
my advice is not to listen to any one who tries to scare you about the birth or tell horrible stories. each pregnacy, birth and child are different.my first pregnacy i got gall stones at 3 mths, luckily the attacks stopped until my son was 4 weeks old. i also had high blood pressure the last 6 weeks and was induced 1 week early. when he was 8 weeks i have my gall taken out. he is as healthy and is hardly ever sick.my 2nd pregnancy was smooth sailing. although my daughter was born 12 days late, 3 hr labour and very healthy.i found not trying to worry about the labour til it started helpful and by them it was too late my mind was on seeing my baby for the frist time.

trudy,nsw,mum to kai 5 & chelsea 21 mths

start collecting baby stuff as soon as you can if you aint got anything. from bassinets, cots, high chairs, rockers everything you need. and get unisex coloured clothes yellow white and lime until the baby is born. good luck

Narelle, Eilish 5th june 2002 TTC since dec 2002

Sign in to follow this topic