Huggies Forum

Huggies® Ultimate
Newborn Nappies

Learn More

young, unexpected mother Rss

What a feeling, to find out I am pregnant, very unexpectantly...
I'm 23 and in my heart of hearts I know I must continue with this preganacy, although I am terrified and know I am risking being a single mother, which I am devestated about.
Would love some advice, good wishes and opinions, views and experiences from all young, unexpected mums

emma, WA, expecting may 2004

Congratulations,

It is a big shock for anyone let alone your circumstances. Try to get involved with your pregnancy, read books find pregnancy sites and chat to other mothers if possible.

Give it some time and i'm sure you will be as excited about your new little bundle as any new mummy!

Tepe grin

DD5, DS3, DS lost to SIDS at 6mths & DD6m

hi well i am 19 and have a 5 mth old daughter it was very unexpected when i found out i was pregnant it really shocked me i just thought i had a kidney infection so i went to the doctors to get some antibiotics and they done a pregnacy test to and it was positive i was stunned and very scared but i had my daughter and i tell you it is the most amazing thing you can go through and every little bit of it is worth it trust me.
Hi there! I'm 21 and have a 5 month old daughter and she is the joy of my life. I too, was unexpectedly pregnant and I remember crying a lot when I found out, even though I'm lucky enough to be in a stable relationship. I remember ringing my parents and my dad answered the phone and I just said "go get mum!!!"

My dad was terribly upset because when I ring, I usually talk to him for ages (because he was dying at the time) so they both knew something was 'up'. I got mum on the phone and was sobbing away about my life being over. After I told her I was pregnant - she laughed and said "Oh God! I thought you were dying!!!"

And then she said to me, "your life isn't over - its just changed a bit. You can still achieve all that you want to, its just the way that you're going to do it will be different now".

So, I just thought I'd share those words of wisdom with you.

It can be really difficult to be expecting when you weren't expecting, especially when you're young, so if I were you, I'd find out about any local groups for young parents. I know that there are a few in my area and they've been really good.

If you're looking for a pregnancy book...Get yourself this book "Up the Duff" by Kaz Cooke. Its a pregnancy book that's absolutely hysterical and helped me when I was feeling blue because the way that she says things makes you feel like you're not the only person in the world who feels like you do right now. (because you're not). She's a very funny lady and the book has loads of helpful information on pregnancy and a common sense approach to it.

Hannah (3 yrs) and Harry's (born 22/7) Mum! QLD

Hi everyone im faced with a moral question. Im 20 and would love to have a baby of my own. Thing is i'm not in a relationship nor do i want to be in one because of how my parents relationship turned out. I dont want my child going through all the heart ache of break up and divorce. Nor the screaming matches. I know i can look after my self and a baby because i took care of my cerabal Palsy brother for 11 years as my parents didn't cope with it. I have a stable job that is flexible in hours. So if i wanted to go casual i could. I really would love a child of my own. A mini me! Please give me your thoughts. Thank you for your time.
Hi there
I am 20 and have an 8 month old son, Joshua. He was not planned as my partner and I hadnt been together very long but when we found out and got over the masssive shock, we dealt with it and began to get excited about our little miricle. Now we wouldnt ever go bacl and change anything, we both adore him.
It is hard to come to terms with but you do and when youo see that little miricel the first time, it makes everything worth while.
I also live in perth and would love to chat, my email is: mdj_little@hotamail.com

Dp: Danny: 30/10/82, Ds: Joshua: 25/03/03

Hi,

Well my story is the same as everyone else, young and unexpecting, like everyone has said you are shocked then u get used to the idea of becoming a mum! I am now a proud mum of a beautiful 4 month old boy.

Good luck on the arrival of your baby, I am sure you will be a fantastic mother, and you will realise the decision you made was the right one as soon as the baby arrives.

Like you I'm young..19 this friday.. My ex and I don't speak but that doesn't bother me because he would only be a negative feature in my childs life. Its a bit hard because I don't know anyone else pregnant and I don't have anyone to share my pregnancy with.( except my mum and lil bro) But remember its them who are missing out not you. All you have to do is stay strong and positive for you and your baby. Your life isn't over because you'll be a single mum.. its just the beginning of an even better life that you get to share with a little someone that you made. or you can think of it another way, You get to be a Milf! lol...Ahh the wise words of a 14 yr old younger brother and his mates lol. keep that chin up gurl.. and keep us posted on your progress..
If you need to talk to someone my msn/email is botanic_mistress84@hotmail.com.

Jane, NSW, Due Jan

Congratulations on being pregnant. I had my first baby when I was 18 and I'm due to have my second baby in May 2004. I know your probably scared about having a baby and being single but it's the greatest feeling in the world to know this little baby depends on you. I'm only 21 now and I'm still scared but I know how great my first little boy has been. Good luck.

Crystalemma
Hi emmejay smile Congratulations on your pregnancy. I wish you much joy and happiness with this big change in your life. smile

Being pregnant is scary for everyone so please don't feel like you are the only one.

The best thing you can do is relax, enjoy the wonderful experience of being pregnant, surround yourself with a network of family and friends who love you and will support you.

Get yourself a good book on pregnancy, read and learn about what to expect and take care of yourself.

When you see your baby on the screen in an ultrasound, feel him or her kick you or move it will feel all the more real. A baby is a blessing and you have been blessed.

As soon as you look into your new born baby's eyes you will know what that unconditional love feeling is all about.

Look after yourself and stay positive... you can do it. I wish you all the best. Michelle smile
Hi Emma. Its my first time on here. I have just split up with my husband of two years about 8 weeks ago. I went to the Drs yesterday and now i am 11 weeks along.

I am so apprehensive because i know the relationship with my husband is over and won't work. But at the same time I am sooooo excited. A new life. What can be more amazing than that.

I am due in Mid July and am looking forward to every step. I know i will have problems along the way with my husband but if we communicate we will still enjoy our baby.

Let me know how you go - email mazodonnell@hotmail.com

Sweet Mazz

Hi Emmajay. I was an unexpecting mother too. I was very unexpecting because of medical reasons and thought it would never be a possibility.

I was excited one moment, petrified the next and didn't know what to do.

I started a book to my baby that I made and entitiled it "expecting you". In it I put the pregnancy test, wrote him letters, kept flowers, etc. It made me more involved in the pregnancy and too be honest thinking about it now I loved him from that first line on that pregnancy test.

My unexpected miracle has just turned three. He is my light and the reason I get up and go to work in the morning. No one is going to tell you parenting is going to be easy, especially on your own, but trust me nothing will prepare you for the fierce love you will have for this child.

All my best wishes to you honey.

Prue, NZ, 3 yr old and trying for #2

Sign in to follow this topic