Huggies Forum

Huggies® Ultimate
Newborn Nappies

Learn More

really sore chest pain/ribs Rss

hi all ummm is it normal at 28weeks to be experiencing severe chest pain in the ribs (mainly on the right hand side)and finding it hard to breath properly?i went to my GP and she said its normal as i'm now really big and everything is being pushed upwards?i know she knows what shes on about but i cant help but think about getting a second opinion??

cherie,mum to Jacob born oct 2004

Hi.
i also experienced what you are going through, and i know of a couple of other friends who did as well. My doctor also told me it was normal but that didnt help the discomfort! My doctor also said it was because everything is being pushed upwards and there isn't much room in there anymore! I'm sorry i dont have any advice as to whether there is anything you can do to relieve the pain but i thought i'd let you know that it happens!
All the best smile
i went to the docs twice in one week cause the pain didnt feel normal.
but i learned to live with it. at first i thought it was heartburn but its not, its all the organs getting squished up together.
try to eat small light meals if you can. smile i couldnt stop eating the whole 9mths and am still trying to get rid of 10kg.

i used to lay down in bed propped up on a few pillows and got some baby oil and massaged where it was hurting. it helped alot actually. also i mainly got the burning feeling after i had over filled my stomach with yummy chocolates.

a walk around the block helped ease the feeling a bit aswell. towards the end i drank black tea which also helped a bit too.

good luck.

Michelle

DD 13/11/03 -DD 11.11.05 - DS 17.4.08

Hello I had something that sounds very much like what you are describing. As the baby grows everything is pushed up and your ribs are stretched. By memory they stretch around 5 - 10cm and once stretched never go back!! On the upside it only happens once so if you have another you shouldnt have the same problem. I now find bras are really uncomfortable as I am very broad in the chest. When I was pregnant I had to see a physio 2 to 3 times a week who worked on this and would even strap my shoulder blades to get some support to help. It didnt stop it but it did ease it for me.

I do remember how uncomfortable I was. I also couldnt sit for very long. I hope it eases for you very soon.
Hi Cherie
I know exactly what you are talking about. I had a very severe pain in my ribs on the right hand side while I was pregnant. It hurt the most when I was sitting for a long time - lying down eased it and also walking around.

My job was a sitting job so I had to get one of those chairs that you kneel and sit on (they have no back). It helped me a lot having this chair at work - it seemed to let me sit for longer at any one time. But I was still constantly getting up and walking around to ease the pressure.

As for breathing properly - I had this problem as well and once again - I would just walk around or lie down if it got too bad.

Unfortunately for me it didn't go away at all once it started. And I hope your's doesn't hurt you when you are giving birth. I found I couldn't push as hard as I wanted to because there was too much pain in my ribs. But that was just my bad experience - I haven't heard of anyone else having this problem.

Hope your pain eases soon ... and good luck with the rest of your pregnancy. Believe me ... it's all worth it when you have your little darling baby in your arms! smile

Debs, NZ, Mum to Rory born 19/01/04

Hi Cherie,
I had the same thing when I was pregnant with my youngest son. I was about 32 weeks though. My Gp also told me it was normal. but it continued right thru, at about 37 weeks I felt though I couldnt stand up staright so I had fetal monetring 1 a week for 2 weeks then daily in the last days. In the end my contractions were like having a big Stitch in my chest.
I couldnt push either it hurt too much. But got there in the end my labour was only 2 hours and 55 minutes.
I also hope your pain eases soon, but you will haev your little bub soon and forget the rest.
Good Luck with it all
Kathy

Kathy,VIC,Josh 8, Alex 7, Michael 1

hi
i know that this is a kinda old post but i have a comment to add
i had the same problem but on my left side and down my arm. i rang my midwife and she told me to ring the ambulance and it turned out that the joints between my ribs and sternum were all inflamed. the people in the ER just put me on oxygen and took lots of blood then sent me home again.
good luck with everything

natasha jayde - 1-1-05 ttc #2 end ong this year

Sign in to follow this topic