Huggies Forum

Huggies® Ultimate
Newborn Nappies

Learn More

ttc a girl Rss

i hve 3 boys and am contemplating trying for a girl , does anyone know of any thing to increase the chances of hving a girl?

mum of 3 boys aged 11, 13 and 14

I have read that if you try 3-4 days before ovulation you may concieve a girl. Apparently female sperm is slower than a male. I don't know if it actually works as I only have a boy myself. smile

Karen, Vic, Nicholas 26/10/02

Yes I have also read that, but what they say is that if you want a buy you must have sex around the time you are ovulating (ie day before, on day, and day after) because if you male sperm dies off quickly, adn if you want a boy and have sex say 2-3 days before you ovulate the male sperm is supposed to die off and leave only girl sperm.
Don't know if that works or not though.

SA, Girl 08/01/97, DD 10/08/04

Yes! I agree. Apparently if you want a girl, go for 2-3 days before and after ovulation and if you want a boy, aim for the day.

We weren't specifically trying for either but had sex on the day of ovulation and we are expecting a boy!

All the best. smile

Tarns

Yes this is correct. We had a girl first and then wanted a boy so I bought a Maybe Baby Ovulation tester and we had sex on the exact day of ovulation and we now have our little boy!!! So to conceive a girl you need to have sex a couple of days before ovulation as the male sperm dies off quicker.

best of luck

Jodie, Qld. Madison (09/09/00), Ashton (22/01/04)

Hi Gals!
Another trick to try is if you want a girl your man should wear tight fitting undrwear as the higher the temp of the scrotum, the higher chance of female sperm being produced and vice versa, in other words... loose boxers for a boy!
Its worth a try anyway as im sure you will be just as happy with either sex if it doesn't work out!
Good Luck!

Sarah,VIC 18mth daughter

Hi Gals!
Another trick for trying for a girl is to increase the temp of your mans groin area, ie: he should wear tight fitting underwear not the looser boxers. This way the area is kept warm and he should produce more female sperm. My doctor actually told me this so it should be worth a try! Obviously he should be wearing these during the month and take them off to do the deed!!!!!!!!! smile
Good Luck, im sure you'll be just as happy with either sex so dont worry, everything's worth a try, isn't it!

Sarah,VIC 18mth daughter

I have never monitored stuff like this before,as I was never TRYING to fall pregnant.But we will probably start trying again soon,and I would love to have a little girl,so I have one of each smile When do people normally ovulate?I know its different for everyone,but its before you get your period right?

Marti, NSW, Baby Boy born on 17th July 2003

Hello Marti

they say ovulation occurs at mid-cycle i.e. 14 days prior to the next period for a woman with a 28 day cycle.

You should also read the billings method, this is very helpful, it gives you ways you can check when you are ovulating.

good luck

bye

melly

melissa, vic, Patrick 2.5 & Laura 15 months

hi!
I empathise totally!. I have 2 boys and am trying everything to conceive a girl though at the moment i am not having any luck falling pregnant at all no matter what the sex! I think maybe i ovulate later in my cycle and therefore am stopping intercourse too soon hence NO sperm, X or Y are reaching the egg!!! If it were up to me I would keep trying forever to have a girl even if it meant having 10 boys before hand though unfortunately hubby has put his foot down (amongst other things!) about that!!! 3 is our limit I'm afraid. I wonder though if there is actually a condition in men where they only carry one type of sperm i.e. only XY or only XX. Have they done studdies? Is there such a thing? Don't get back to this site much guys so drop me a line at kelqin@yahoo.com if you would like to chat . I'm also thinking about starting up a chat room or something for mothers of boys yearning for girls....what do you think?
There have been studies done in regards to how a man's fitness level affects the likelyhood of producing boys or girls(!!) Apparently the more fit a man is, the more likely he is to produce girls. It is common for many athletes to produce girls. Andrew Gaze (the basketballer) had three girls before he retired, and He and his wife tried for a girl using a very strict 'girl' diet...and it worked. This may be something to do with the hot crotch effect mentioned earlier!!! (hot, sweaty footy shorts and all that..eeewwww) Having said all this this, there are plenty of couch potatoes with daughters. All the best for whatever you have.

Domestic Goddess Mum of Four!

There was an article on this very topic in the last edition of Monther & Baby magazine. Although there is no conclusive evidence that it actually works it suggested that certain types of foods can increase your chances of having a boy or a girl. here is a list of "girl" foods:

High calcium:
* milk
* hard cheese
* yoghurt
* dried figs
* sesame seeds
* tahini
* sardines
* tofu

Magnesium rich:
* leafy green vegies
* peanuts
* wholegrains
* dark chocolate

The experts don't recommend following this type of diet for more than 6 months and keep an eye out for any negative side-effects.

And remember, it's a child you are bringing into the world, not a gender! Be happy to have a healthy baby no matter what it is!

Gabriella, Chiara & angel called home

Sign in to follow this topic