Huggies Forum

Huggies® Ultimate
Newborn Nappies

Learn More
  1. home
  2. Baby Forum
  3. Pregnancy & Birth
  4. Your Labour and Birth
  5. anyone assisted in someone else's birth?

anyone assisted in someone else's birth? Rss

Hi. I've just come away from assisting my girlfriend with her second child. I was there for her first, she's been with me for both of my two, and I guess if she'll come, I want her with me for my third.
Just wondering what everyone thinks about having others in the birthing room with you. Would you assist someone? Should it just be the dad or partner?
What do you all think?

1 daughter and 2 sons

Hi,
No, i haven't assisted with anyone elses birth.
I had my partner at the birth with me and i personally wouldn't want anyone else in there with me i think it's a special thing between the 2 of you!
But everyone is different, if it was under different circumstance and my partner couldn't be there then i would consider having my friend there.

Cody,SA, 6mth baby

hi!

i haven't yet assisted in anyone else's birth, but REEEAAALLY want to. it might sound strange or even perverted, but i'd just really like to witness and be part of a new life entering the world (without the distraction of pain!!! tongue -and the exhaustion! ). i watched my 2nd birth in a mirror and although a lot of my friends say "eww, gross!" i thought it was quite magical and encouraging. with my 3rd, i gave birth to him standing up at the end of the bed and the midwife passed him through my legs to me and then i lay him in my arms onto the bed in front of me. it was just such a fantastic moment!!! and ....then i even cut his cord!!! it was just SUCH a fabulous experience! and i guess that that was FAIRLY close to assisting someone else, but it would still be different. my mum assisted in my 1st son's birth (my husband was also there) and has said what an honour it was to be present for it and what a magical experience it was for her. she wasn't there for my 2nd and 3rd sons' arrivals because we decided that we wanted to do them on our own. (she was still a part of it, she looked after our 1st for the 2nd's and she spoke to me on the phone in the labour ward whilst i was delivering the afterbirth for the 3rd's???!!!) :~

3 boy bundles of joy under 6, qld

Hi Ana,
I was there with my sister when she had her 1st little girl, as at the time, her and her partner were separated(he was there too though), she had asked me early on to go in with her.

I was there when it got too much for the -dad-to-be, and saw my beautiful little neice enter this world. I made sure I got out of the way just after her birth, to allow mum & dad quality time with their precious bundle.
(Am pleased to add, they got back together and have a little sister for their now 4 year old!!)

I think ultimately, it is a decision for the mum- she knows who will be of help, and, sometimes....your best friend can cope better with drama than your partner!!(Thats not saying to replace him, just as an extra helper)

Tina, mum to Jake, Tylah & Jayden smile

I had my aunt and partner there first time, same aunt and cousin there second time, and same aunt and another there 3rd time. Woiuldnt have had it any other way.

i was there for my newphes birth too, at the end but then my sister was rushed for an emercengy cesar.

Sharon, 24, Qld, 2 boys 3 & 5, girl 1.

when in with my sister, i remeber saying soemthing (cant recall exactly lol) and one of the nirses tried to get all high and mighty with me, so i told her ever so sweetly that i have had two of my own. She then left me along and if you do go in with someone remeber that at times you will have to be their voice.

I know i did for my sister on a few things smile

Sharon, 24, Qld, 2 boys 3 & 5, girl 1.

hi there

i have assisted with 3 births 2 with my sister in law and the other with my cousin smile and also when i was having my daughter i had about 8 family members there with me and i found for myself personally it was good it made me feel safe and they were all woman other then my partner and i also found comfort in knowing that everyone in the room with me had been through what i was going through and they could relate so for me i would say go for it have as many ppl with you as you want

Renee d.o.b: 7/12/03, Aiden d.o.b: 22/12/05

hi renees-mum!

how the heck did you fit that many people in your birthing suite? did you go private to be ALLOWED to do this, as the maximum for the 2 different public hospitals i've had my kids in is 3, but they usually like to keep it at 2! i've heard this about other hospitals, too.
i'm glad that you enjoyed the experience, though. not sure if i could've handled that many people waiting for me to and watching me give birth?! good on you! wink
i envy you for the experience of witnessing not only 1 birth, but 3! did you assist with these births BEFORE or AFTER your baby? it would have been a VERY interesting experience before your baby and i guess, kinda like a trial run, without the pain, so you'd know what you wanted and were doing! smile

3 boy bundles of joy under 6, qld

Sign in to follow this topic