Huggies Forum

Huggies® Ultimate
Newborn Nappies

Learn More

jolly jummpers and walkers Rss

i recently went to the baby clinic and the mid-wife said that it's strongly recommended not to use jolly jumpers and walkers as it promotes abilities that babys are normally too young to start learning, though i still use them because i was in them both and i came out fine.
Jolly jumpers are fabulous i think for strengthening his legs

tash,qld,1st baby

I got one of them I put him in it well i am cooking dinner I put him in it at 4/12 mouths and he is neary 7 mouths he love it.. johanne

Johanne_Chambers@yahoo.com.au plainland qld

i think the issue with these items is some parents use them for too long. children whom spend heaps of time in them each day, tend to be lazier developers.

DD5, DS3, DS lost to SIDS at 6mths & DD6m

The physiotherapist told me this...

There is some strong evidence to suggest that walkers can have an adverse effect on the way your baby walks. For example, I have friends who left their baby in a baby walker and now she won't walk on her feet - just on the tips of her toes. Also, babies push back when they're in walkers, which apparently isn't good for them (because we obviously don't walk backwards).

The latter reason is the same for jolly jumpers.

Having said that though, Walkers account for a tremendous amount of injuries in babies. If you're going to use one, PLEASE make sure you're watching your child at all times!!

Hannah (3 yrs) and Harry's (born 22/7) Mum! QLD

I was told the same thing about walkers from my physio and podiatrist, who are also close friends. They hate walkers, but did say that jolly jumpers are ok. On the other hand though I know alot of kids who have had walkers and they are all fine, just be careful i guess, and perhaps not keep them in it for too long at a time.

Beck,Vic

i used both with my 2 childen and both have developed fine. i think they are fine to use as long as they are supervised and not left alone.

trudy,nsw,mum to kai 5 & chelsea 21 mths

One of the mothers at my daughters school is a physio and thinks that jolly jumpers are fine for short periods. No longer than 15 minutes at a time. Jolly jumpers apprently can also be bad for their backs. This is what she told me. She doesn't agree with walkers I myself never used one so I don't have an opinion but I think why make them mobile to early and give yourself more work to do with watching them.

Karen, 2 girls, 1 boy and 1 due edd 23.10.07

my mum also had the same problem, my little brothe (now 6) was born at 28 weeks and had club foot, the neonatal unit put a cast on his foot etc and did all they could to get it straight while they could. it turned out fine, then she got a plunket nurse who told her NOT to use a walker as it could damage him etc etc, but the paediatritian told her to use one so he can excercise his foot.
of course being who my mum is went against the plunkets wishes and used a walker. his foot is fine, and absolutely nothing wrong with him.
i believe completely it is up to you no matter what any plunket says. you raise your child your way and use things your way.

Mummy to Malachi - 24 July 2004

Sign in to follow this topic