Huggies Forum

Huggies® Ultimate
Newborn Nappies

Learn More

losing my mind??? Rss

Hi
My daughter was born 9 weeks ago and all is going well with her. I on the other hand think I'm getting dumber!! I find that I feel foggy headed and a little slow. When I'm breatfeeding I can stare into space for any length of time. Is anyone else feeling like this? Will my brain power come back?
Welcome to the club! No seriously I find that when I am feeding my daughter, especially when she was really young, I space out and use this time for thinking. I think about all sorts of things. Also I find that I have lost my brain. I put it down to having so much to think about now that the things I found so easy before now seem really hard to concentrate on. Anyway we are doing an important job so as long as we're do that right that's all that matters!

Rachel, 20mth girl + 1 on the way

hi, i have a 3 week old daughter and on more than one occasion i have woken up in the middle of the night to find my daughter asleep in her cot and the last thing i remember doing is feeding her.....

I put it down to the lack of sleep making me forget things, like what day it is!

Usually i am ok when i feed her, exept the late night feeds, if i have had to wake up to feed her i usually find it is better for me (and safer for her!) if i get out of bed and feed her in another room of the house as i am not as tempted to fall back to sleep untill i have put her back into bed.

It's nice to see that i am not the only person having trouble with my mind during feeds!

Mummy to Talana Michelle Kimberley (13/12/2003)

HI, I laughed when I read this post. When my girl was 2 weeks old, i still wasn't used to getting up in the night to feed or change her and as a result I used to say very stupid things as I was so tired. I woke my hubby up one night with my dressing gown wrapped in my arms thinking it was my baby and saying theres another baby in the cot, what do you want me to do with it. He was so dumbfounded with me that he just laughed and I was nearly in tears as I was very concerned where the mum to the "other" bub was. I realised what id done when I went back in her room, and woke up a bit. Then another night i caught myself wrapping my dressing gown in the doona and trying to feed it thinking it was my bub.
Luckily she started sleeping through at 5 weeks otherwise Id be a right idiot. I still laugh when I think about those nights.
Have fun!!!

Lisa, SA, baby girl (4.5.03)

Oh this posting has also brought a smile to my face !!!

My baby girl is 3 weeks old and I scared myself the other night as I woke up suddenly in the middle of the night - saw this baby in her cot and for the life of me could not figure out where this baby had come from , who she belonged to and worse of all I had no idea what babies did or what they fed on!!!!

Reading all the replies I feel better knowing that its perfectly normal and comes down to tiredness.
Come to think of it - I think I might start my own journal and read it in a few years. That has got to be intresting.

Best of Luck

Tanya,AKL

i keep waking up in the middle of the night thinking that my baby is laying on my chest and shes sound asleep in her cot i also yelled at my hubby the other night because he went to hug me while we were asleep and i thought that he was squashing our baby but there was no baby... she was asleep in her cot.........i am also totally forgetful if i dont write it down i forget it....i think a bit of my brain came out when my baby did.

Jessica, mum to baby Bonnie, NSW

I have to say all this sounds very familiar. I used to either space out, or fall asleep while feeding George. It is not just tiredness, part of it is the hormones your body releases when breastfeeding "prolactin" which is a relaxing hormone (works a bit too well on me!).
I remember one time coming too after a feed and wondering where George was, a few moments later I realised he was still in my arms and away with the fairies! Come to think of it, that must be where I was too!
It will be interesting to see if things are the same second time around.

Rachelle, NZ, son George 10.12.02, Ian 15.06.04

I completly understand. On more than one occasion - actually quite often, my partner will roll over in bed and I'll immediately stop him for fear of "Squashing the Baby" although she never sleeps in our bed. One night I woke up thinking I'd just been feeding Jordyn and went to put her to bed - on the way out of the room I realised that I was holding my boobs not a baby and I cant very well put them in a cot to sleep! My partner will wake in the middle of the night and I'll be patting his back/head. I wake up cradling my doona thinking it's a baby and get concerned when I squeeze it and can't feel her - I'll wake Chris to "Help find the baby". It's never ending I can't wait till Jordyn is sleeping through (still not and she's 9 weeks old) and I finally get my mind back - at least I hope it will return.
I have just had my fourth baby and I feel like I have not been on planet earth for the last 11 years I wonder if you ever get your mind back I am sure every time you have a baby each baby takes a little bit of your brain.

tam 10 week old baby

You guys make me laugh.

i have just had twins (what the, is going to happen to me then) I also have a 2 yr old so I know it dosen't get any better.

I always thought it was called pregnancy brain, but I seemed to be fine when I was pregnant, then it all started when they came out.

I remember my sister staying over and screaming at me to wake up and feed my children, Im like where, why what children. I was so tired apparently that had been screaming for quite I while.
And I keep asking my hub in the morn did I feed the boys. I think I just do it but I'm not awake.

Keep the stories coming in its good for a laugh.

Sydney,twin boys 22/10/04+girl 26/03/02

Hi everyone

This has to be the funniest thread!

My favourite post was Lisa's with the much loved dressing gown. heheh

I can totally relate to you guys, last night we went out and returning home I was so tired, we pulled in to the empty driveway and I go "oh my god where's my car? my car's been stolen!" then I looked around and realised we were in my car. What an idiot! Ben couldn't stop laughing at me.

TD, WA

I've never had soo much fun reading all of your posts. I laughed out loud at nearly every one of them. I've never done anything like what you guys have done, I'm pretty good with waking up during the night. My 2 month old only wakes once a night now.

I just forget what I'm saying. I'll be in the middle of a sentence and then forget what I was about to say next. I had the "Pregnant Brain" but i've kept it aswell.

I especially love the "nursing your boobs" story. I've laughed soo hard.

THANK YOU, THANK YOU, THANK YOU

Laneisa, QLD, 5 kids + baby Flynn 24/02/05

Sign in to follow this topic